1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured Spending money on horses

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mkoktavy, Feb 9, 2017.

1. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Full Member

FB_IMG_1486587878894.jpg
    I spewed my tea when I saw this, totally me...anyone else?

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Every time, which is why I'm still doing chores in boots with holes in, but bought Fergie a set of sparkly boots, that she only gets to wear for show warm ups and schooling shows that cost me $170 :blushing: Oh and then there was the hand made flybonnet, saddle pad to match.....SIGH

boots.jpg

3. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Full Member

Well doesn't she just look FANCY! Love the matching bridle and breastplate too!
    I've been gaining quite the collection of Back on Track products... I guesstimated Flash's blanket size for when he finishes growing and bought him the mesh sheet when it was on sale..
    He also has a sparkly lined white saddle pad with matching polos which I can't wait to try on him! Maybe this summer I'll try them on with a surcingle just so I can play dress up! :love:

4. horseingreyflannelsuit

horseingreyflannelsuit Full Member

purdy horse

manesntails likes this.
  5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

The bridle was brown when I bought it

[​IMG]

didn't like it, so dyed it black, it was 5 years later that I saw the breast collar and had to have it!

Thank you......now you see I have a problem, this is her show outfit

Friday (13).JPG

Wouldn't these boots look good

[​IMG]

To complete that outfit? The struggle is real

6. horseingreyflannelsuit

horseingreyflannelsuit Full Member

Can those be used in a western pleasure class, I'm under the impression that splint boots were not allowed in the show ring?

7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

LOL, we do Western Dressage and no I can't show in them, but for warm up at shows, schooling shows and clinics we are good. Judges CAN allow boots if there is a concern over footing, but I'm thinking I wouldn't ride if they are calling that.

8. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Ah yes, money on our much loved hobby that keeps us sane....

The Dream Team:
    [​IMG]

Then you have the antique wagon that we found in a barn for $1500, fixed it up, the wheels had to be taken to PA to an Amish shop. But the finished product was worth it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The auto topped, 3 spring surrey with patent leather fenders, with beveled glass lights, that we did several events with:
    [​IMG]

My show cart, there are only 2 like this for a draft, I have one of them, as it was specially made with 2" higher wheels. Love driving this:
    [​IMG]

Then you can count on the 3 sets of team harness, one is a show harness with patent leather, chrome hames, fittings, etc. on it, and biothane as well, the real leather show harness, work harness, and rosettes and ribbons...driving is an expensive hobby, more so when you showed and were in a driving club. Wouldn't trade what I know for anything else...Nor the awesome husband who helped finance some and go on the picnic drives, haul everything to the show grounds, help set up, get my stuff in order, help me polish and clean.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

My two don't have any tack needs, but Quest simply MUST have a warm blankie that fits him properly, and is currently on his fourth one. Calypso also needs a good blanket, but I think she may keep hers a long time--she treats it like a sunday gown; except for a bit of mud around the edges it looks brand new!
    She also has more flavor and brands of treats than any one horse needs. I have an entire garbage tote stacked with probably at least a dozen bags, and I am out of her two favorite flavors-- Candy apple and banana.
    Also have too many brushes, tail combs, and sponges. I cannot go into a store without getting a little something.
    God forbid I ever actually start riding my own horses, I shall go broke. And showing? Lord. I would need all the matching things, pretty purple sparkling ones!

froglander, foxtrot, Varisha and 3 others like this.
  10. CowCatcher

CowCatcher Senior Member

I cut my grocery budget in half so I could buy a filly and attend a three day cow horse and cutting clinic in California.

I believe us horse people know how to sacrifice to meet our horses needs and goals!