Speaking of chickens...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dona Worry, Feb 19, 2018.

1. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

DSC02530.JPG
    My first batch of fluffy butts. I love having chicks around.

DSC02536.JPG
    More of the first batch...

DSC02992.JPG
    You don't know cute until you have a brooder full of black crested white polish chicks. Stinkin' cute

DSC02930.JPG
    Baby Barnevelder, because she was absolute perfection. She's a beautiful hen too, you've seen her grown up.

DSC02894.JPG
    Batch of Icelandic chicks, with one big BCM in the back (the black one)

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I present Wulfgar the Undefeated.

His momma is pur last surviving feral hen, and she is a HORRIBLE mother and has abandoned him, and presumably his siblings as well, but I think they have all perished.

So, tada. I have a ugly little feral rooster chick.

Attached Files:

3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Well, not as cuddly as the white dog, I’m sure, but maybe he will grow on you?

Dona Worry likes this.
  4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Eh, hopefully . I don't think I have any need for a rooster, but maybe once my six chicks (who have not hatched, so I should not count) are big enough they'll get along.
    If not, he can always be soup.

froglander and Arem like this.
  5. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

He's gonna be a lovely Barred Rock rooster..

Dona Worry likes this.
  6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

We haven't had a pure blood barred rock in probably 20 years, but oddly enough, their descendants seem the best at surviving. We had a handful of different hens, and then a family friend gave us three banty roosters.

7. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

We have feral chickens wandering free,a real mix of everything. Some have gone back to Red Jungle Fowl,some like the one pictured,have a throwback to the barring,but are all colors.

Attached Files:

Tack Collector and Dona Worry like this.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Wulfgar the Undefeated .
    20180304_190028.jpg 20180304_190033.jpg

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I love his name!

10. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I sent my husband to town for doughnuts last weekend and he returned with 15 Ameraucana chicks. I got doughnuts too, so he is forgiven for the chicks.

We planned to add some chickens this year, mine are at least 4 years old so are not laying well. It is time for some new blood. We planned on Ameraucanas too so that was OK but we were not set up to house 15 chicks. Enter the scramble to find all the chick brooder supplies, mad dash back to town to fill in the blanks and we are all set!

I want some Polish chickens and some more Silkies. I'll probably be back up to 50 chickens in no time! lol

@Dona Worry, our run is made out of galvanized top rail that is fitted together with clamps designed to make dog runs. All you need to assemble the frame is a drill with a nut driver attachment since the screws are self tapping. Ours is 10'W X 20'L X 10'H but I would like to add on to it this year. The coyotes starting getting the chickens when they were let out to range every day as they got farther and farther out. Now they only get out for a couple of hours on the weekends when I am home to watch them so they need more room in the run. We used stucco wire, which is heavier gauge than most chicken wire but is stainless and is cheaper than galvanized chicken wire. We laid the wire out about 36" on the ground then up the sides, over the top and 36" on the ground on the other side. Aluminum tie wire to secure the wire to the frame and hog rings to attach the rows of wire together. Bury the 36" span on the ground and the run is pretty predator proof. I have too many outside cats to have to worry about rodents but I have the best fed, healthiest wild birds in the county! I have several roadrunners that hang around and help with the rodents. They are a good snake deterrent too so I am happy to see them. They are too big for the cats to mess with.

We never worried about getting good laying hens since they were strictly for entertainment for my mother. It doesn't matter most of the breeds we chose originally were not rated as good layers, when you have 50, you get more than enough eggs for a family of 5!!

Arem and Dona Worry like this.