Soy Sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Lopinslow, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I'm kind of wondering if April is.

She is currently fed 4lbs per day ADM Primeglo, with supplements: Magrestore, Acti-flex, and copper/zinc. winter: Round bale grass outside, 4 or so flakes at night when she comes in

Granted she can be very quiet, but IMPO she can be overly sensitive (noises, and things in an arena that she has been ridden in hundreds of times), and a little "stupid" about things she shouldn't be sometimes. also quite crabby under saddle, especially at the canter. in the past 2 months, she has seen the chiro, had a magnawave session, has a BOT sheet and neck cover, and saw our lameness vet a week ago (Stifle injections)

I see one of the symptoms can be "hypersensitivity".

2. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

My older mare bagged up from soy, but she was not hypersensitive. She is retired to pasture pet, so I don't know if there were any changes under saddle.I also don't know if it would've affected her cycle. I started her on a senior feed early winter when she wasn't cycling, and I got her straightened back out before spring by changing her diet. She is now soy-free.

3. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Have you 5 panel tested her? Some of her issues kind of sound like PSSM. There are now 4 additional variants of PSSM :(

PSSM is some scary crap. I think my Dressed Western gelding probably has PSSM 1 or the PS 2 variant. I haven't tested him yet, but I want to. It seems to cause varying degrees of muscle soreness and unexplained lameness. There is a whole list of symptoms people attribute to PSSM, many of which sound totally bogus... but I can believe just the muscle soreness can cause a crabby horse.

My black gelding is sensitive to soy.... in that he blows up like a balloon on it. He's an air fern anyway. I try to avoid soy.

ginster likes this.
  4. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

I never thought of PSSM but that isn't a stretch. I have a friend whose 9 year old APHA gelding suddenly started tying up BAD last summer. It affected her whole show season, and now it's so bad that he's retired and they're considering putting him down. They are thinking he has the PSSM 2 (acquired) variation. Either way, it's a horrible thing. :(

tlwidener likes this.
  5. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Yup.
    My Dress Western gelding is pretty much a pasture ornament at this point. I can't get or keep him sound. I'm managing him like he has PSSM, but so far he still looks like crap. Apparently in the end stages PSSM horses can get organ damage, even heart damage. It sucks. I've spent thousands on my guy, and he's still not anywhere close to right.

Dream27 likes this.
  6. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I have not tested her, but I will do that.... Harley is negative across the board, May is one we have not tested (I need to)

ginster likes this.
  7. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

Yes to testing for PSSM.

Also yes to soy sensitivity. I have a gelding who has grain and soy sensitivity. He wasn't off them for ten days (this was several years ago) and my non-horse husband asked what was up with the horse because he wasn't being nasty and was actually pleasant.

I think soy sensitivity reactions depend on the horse. It's like someone who drinks too much alcohol --- whatever the person's emotional "thing" is, will be fueled by alcohol:help:

8. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I ordered a 5 panel test for her dam.... and if SHE comes up positive on anything, i'll do April as well.

Primeglo is alfalfa based, but does contain "soy hulls". will that affect one the same?

LoveTrail likes this.
  9. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

I have read (somewhere on the Net) that soy hulls are supposed to be innocent.

I have one horse with insulin resistance and the other horse with soy sensitivity that begets a really rotten attitude --- I'm not willing to test those waters by feeding anything containing soy hulls.

My thought would be to remove the Primeglo and see if behavior changes for the better. If it is the soy hulls, you should see a difference within two weeks --- if there isn't any difference then her diet would only be off schedule for two weeks:)

10. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Thanks. looks like Triple Crown Naturals is soy free. its a little higher in NSC than I like (20%) but i'll pick up a bag and start switching her over and see if it makes a difference.

Went out of heat about 2 weeks ago, started her on regumate this past weekend. will have her on that to get through our first 3 shows, then pull her off and Lute her after the last show in April (last weekend) so we can get her bred that first week in May.

kodemiester and gaitedboomer like this.