Souvie new vet and test results so far

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Misty H, Sep 29, 2018.

1. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I think anyone wanting to offer helpful tips should write a PM to @Misty H because I doubt she'll come back to either of these threads.

2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Hoping she will read them at least, but maybe not comment anymore. Also, it is for others that read, but don't comment that could help their horses with similar issues. Had another friend start out with breathing issues with her horse that ended up with laminitis too. She also couldn't sweat. Pointed out to her owner there was a metabolic issue when her horse got a cresty neck and a winter coat in June. She got laminitis by August.

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

i get that and it is very informative for others. I just meant that if you want to make sure she reads it, you should send her a pm...

4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

At this point it is up to her. Right now I think she is too upset at us and what is going on with Souvie and PMing her could just make it worse.

manesntails and mooselady like this.
  5. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

@slc
    Since this is an Equine Sport Vet (track vet) do you think he could possibly be looking for arthritis and joint/muscle damage instead of PPID symptoms of wandering lameness? Blaming previous leg/knee injuries for sore (laminitic) feet?

Not knocking the vet of course, but symptoms we have all dealt with at some point and so obviously point to IR and PPID to us, the vet says arthritis and sugars in the hooves.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

No vet would ever say sugar in the hooves. Ever. No vet would ever say sugar was pooling in a horse's hooves and the medicine would get it out and make the horse sound. No vet, ever, no matter how drunk or how dumb. Same for insisting a PPID/IR horse could not possibly have laminitis. No vet, ever, no matter how drunk or how dumb.

Like I said, I don't condemn the vet until I hear the vet's side of what was said, and that is never possible on these. There is much that gets mixed between the vet's lip and the customer's ear. If I had to guess I would say from her comments that laminitis is just not something the OP is willing to entertain at this moment. As she said, horse is not trying to get weight off toes, so can't be laminitis.

In fact if I had money to bet I'd bet that horse has PPID/IR affecting its hooves and it has laminitis-like pain.

DocsLglyBlonde and manesntails like this.
  7. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Agree. Laminitic pain can sometimes just mean the horse won't move or walk and will lay down a lot. Doesn't necessarily have to have the typical laminitic stance.

ginster, NBChoice and manesntails like this.
  8. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

@slc I 10000% agree with everything you've posted here.
    Especially the sugar pooling in the hooves. I messaged that to my friend who happens to be one of the head vets at CSU and he laughed

9. slc

slc Senior Member

I did too. That is just not something a vet says.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

No. No matter how dumb or how drunk, no.

When vets look at older horses with 'all sorts of problems' they start immediately thinking IR/PPID.

My vet, just out of the clear blue sky, wanted Pony tested for IR and PPID because of his eye. Yeah. No other symptoms of PPID/IR. They realize how many body systems get tweaked by these disorders.