Souvie new vet and test results so far

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Misty H, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

4C66A22E-B219-4CB8-8365-14606DB560B0.png So vet just text me and said his test results are definitely not normal at all. That he has to go on Thro L for sure and will see what insulin comes back as. It will be in by tomorrow or Monday. Here are the results. My poor boy!!

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Good luck, particularly on him having some quality of life and you some kind of life financially. :(

Misty H likes this.
  3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

So glad you decided to try a new vet!

Misty H likes this.
  4. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I haven't read through everything on your guy, but assuming his age on those results is correct, with glucose that high (pretty safe to assume he's insulin resistant), I'd also be testing for PPID/Cushing's. Hopefully he starts improving soon (y)

5. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Yes he is 20 years old turned 20 on May 2nd
    We started these test because his former vet suspected he may be a Cushings horse. His new vet did call me after sending me the test results and stated that he needs to be on thyroid meds. And once his insulin results come in he is suspecting insulin resistant as well. So he will be placed on Pergolide, thro L, and possibly another medication. We will have his insulin results in on Monday. But at least we are finally getting somewhere. I’m mad at myself that I didn’t find him a new vet sooner and possibly could have got a control on this sooner! But I trusted his previous vet and was mislead and was told false information, and poor souvie paid for it. Hopefully we can also get his lameness under control as well. Vet will only let me give him MSM and bute occasionally right now for that. Poor old boy hurts so bad walking on both back legs. :bawling::(

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  6. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Just wish I had done it sooner, thought I could trust his other vet, but he was just after my money! And wasn’t fixing souvie and he was just getting worse

7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Wow, his glucose is high. Foxy's glucose is normal, just his insulin was above normal.

8. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

I don’t have his insulin results yet. Will have them on Monday. And a list of all the meds they are putting him on. I will pick up all the meds on Monday from the vets office.

9. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Well souvie insulin levels came back so high that the lab is rerunning the test to make sure the results are accurate. He is going on 3 additional medications now. One for his thyroid, one for his glucose, and one for the insulin. On top of staying on the dex till we get cooler weather. Vet is good with him staying on 10cc, since he said when given orally they only absorb half of that dose.

palimino57 likes this.
  10. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Obviously it is your and the vet's call, but be extremely cautious using Dex with a horse who has uncontrolled glucose and insulin levels and is a high laminitis risk. Corticosteroid use can trigger laminitis in at risk horses.

At least you have a good idea now on where to go from here. A meticulous diet will be extremely important for him.

ETA I can't tell from your previous post if you did in fact run an ACTH test for PPID, but I absolutely would if you have not. Starting Prascend (Pergolide) now if he is PPID might help prevent future laminitis, which he is at very high risk for currently. Ask me how I know :rolleyez: