Sound to ride or not?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BJ 685, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJ 685

BJ 685 Full Member

My gelding is unsound barefoot as in very short strided and gimpy. When booted he's sound 100% vet says he good to ride as long as sound booted. Farrier on other hand disagrees says horse needs to be sound barefoot & booted to be considered sound to ride.

He's very IR Glucose is 145 mg/dl insulin 98.4 Leptin 6.2 ng/ml vet says he needs to be in work daily and moderate to hard work. So his thinking is as long as he's sound booted he's sound to ride,whether sound barefoot or not.

He hoof test sore on both fronts really sore just in front of frog area all of toe area is sore and he's very reactive to testers.

So iv been riding him daily for over a week he willing moves out and seems happy to go hasn't showed soreness while in boots. But does come up more sore barefoot after work outs which are pretty hard work outs lots of trotting and cantering. He's riden a total of 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day some days are shorter rides,but he still comes home sweaty and puffing pretty good.

So i'am at a loss on what i should do? vet and farrier are not on same page with this working horse deal. So is he sound to ride if sound booted, sore barefoot????

2. Muppetgirl

Muppetgirl Senior Member

Nope. You need to find out WHY he's sore and fix it. A horse who sounds that foot sore cannot possibly heal in his hoof if hes not diagnosed and treated accordingly.
    Boots just mask the soreness:(

Sounds like you ride him pretty hard and for long durations - poor boy needs time to heal.

MIEventer, meljean and Invictus like this.
  3. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Get a lameness evaluation done. why is he that foot sore? Xrays?

And that's a LOT of riding, why so much?

MIEventer and meljean like this.
  4. Patty Stiller

Patty Stiller Senior Member

Many horses simply do not have the GENETIC QUALITY of hoof to ever be able to go barefoot, OR they are being over trimmed, OR the hooves are too wet, OR the environment you are asking them to be ridden in is harsher than their living area. He could be a perfectly sound horse living in man made circumstances and therefore needs either shoes or boots to be ridden. That is why both were invented. And by the way if your farrier is really just a barefoot trimmer, be aware that some barefoot trimmers have the false belief that all horses can eventually go barefoot in all jobs or terrains without boots. That idea is just not true. WE BRED GOOD HOOVES RIGHT OUT OF SOME HORSES. So if he is sound with hoof protection, then protect them. And do NOT get sucked into the false belief that shoes are harmful. They are not. Only INcorrect shoeing is.

5. fennecfox

fennecfox Senior Member

Find out why he's sore. He may just need shoes. They aren't the devil like barefoot gurus claim them to be.

6. 2miniB

2miniB Senior Member

Sometimes a horse is pasture sound barefoot, but needs boots to ride. But if he needs boots to be pasture sound, he should not be worked. Period.

I have 2 horses with metabolic syndrome myself, and it hasn't been easy getting them sound to work. My older mare foundered, and it's taken a year and a half to get her hooves healed to the point where she could be worked again. After getting her through laminitis, she had to grow out a new hoof twice. She had a lot of hoof capsule distortion, which took 2 full growth cycles to fix.

I just started mine on Platinum Metabolic Support, and I'm seeing a dramatic improvement in them. Weight loss and decrease in fat pads.

Just for comparison, these are my horses' lab results.
    -Old Pony Insulin 70.08uIU/mL, Glucose 74mg/dL, Leptin 9.14ng/mL
    -Young Mini Insulin 31.56uIU/mL, Glucose 48mg/dL, Leptin 27.31ng/mL

I know you've talked about his diet before. What is he eating now?

Quite honestly, I've been able to get my old EMS pony to a healthy weight through diet and lifestyle modifications alone. Low NSC, flax, balanced minerals and salt. Life in a dry lot with hay outside and water inside, so they have to walk back and forth. And 3/8" pea gravel footing in the dry lot.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  7. DelP

DelP Senior Member

IR horses are prone to thin soles. I might want to do X-rays to confirm that his soreness is from thin soles and not from rotation to be on the safe side. My IR pony is perfectly sound in boots, but can be ouchy on gravel without them. My vet has him on no restrictions with his boots on and recommends that he gets as much exercise as possible including 25 mile rides. It is just a matter of paying attention to his comfort and making sure he isn't sore during the ride or after.

Low NSC diet with added magnesium, zinc, and copper can help IR horses with thin soles improve their hoof health. My pony's X-rays have shown an improvement in sole thickness after 6 months of adding magnesium and copper.

EDITED to add zinc to the supplement list. Had to go check my counter for what I have him on :)

8. BJ 685

BJ 685 Full Member

I'v had him xrayed he's thin soled and has distal sinking. He was tested and is IR Reason he gets worked so much to help keep him from gaining to much weight. With shorter day light hours not riding as long this last week but he comes home sweaty. Vet said if i keep him worked he can stay on pasture muzzled. Had him dry lotted for a while wasn't working he was tearing up fence to get out,to be with his buddy.

Was told by vet last farrier was keeping him sore,so fired her and pulled shoes and pads,well he's been sore sense,new farrier wont put shoes on claims he doesn't have enough hoof to nail too. I'v pretty much have used every farrier their is around here now. Last one i was spending 300 a month for a sore horse. He has issues with trims that are done under run heels and long toes,and has yet to be trimmed, farrier supposed to come the 29th of this month. Can't seem to get a farrier to come on a regular basis horses go months between trims. Make appt only to have farrier cancel and push out appt for 1 to 2 more weeks. So i'v taken rasp to file off chipped hoof walls and make them look a little better.

I was told with proper trim and exercise the distal sinking will reverse. Was told to leave him barefoot so his soles toughen up well its been 3 month now sense shoes were pulled and not much progress on toughening up.

9. BJ 685

BJ 685 Full Member

No farrier isn't just a barefoot trimmer he does shoes,no i don't think shoes are evil just haven't had much luck with them on this horse. I'am sure its farrier issues that are the cause. 2miniB He's eating same feed as my old mare is and on pasture muzzled,i know not best diet for him.
    I know why he's sore thin sole and distal sinking,if i could find a farrier who could do a decent shoe job i'd have him shod. Last farrier we just kept butting heads she wouldn't listen,when i told her he was still sore even shod with pads. If sound booted is it ok to ride even if sore barefoot on pasture??? Patty- trails are gravel and rock,home is grass and sandy and he's sore on grass and sand barefoot.
    Heres a few pics of her work. LF.jpg RF.jpg LF Lateral.jpg RF Lateral.jpg

10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I'm not real thrilled with how the hooves look, but I have trouble pinpointing exactly what's up from pictures at this point. I see imbalance in the heels.

What he has going on with his feet sounds pretty much identical to a horse I know. Thin, soft soles. Extremely sore, but perfectly sound in boots. He just needs protection. He may end up shod with pads that will protect his poor soles from the pressure that causes pain.

Your horse's lameness is primarily coming from those thin soles. It sounds like he has no really protection under his coffin bone. Adding boots adds protection which solves the problem. Solving the problem makes a sound, usable horse, IMO.

He would benefit greatly from 24/7 protection, be it from boots or a good shoeing package.

I'm guessing there are no ELPO farriers anywhere near you? :( have you checked? If not, I or someone can link you to the list.

MIEventer, prairiesongks and DelP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.