SORING!!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by happygolucky, Dec 30, 2015.

1. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

The problem with this statement here ^ although true

Is that's what "AR" folks do - but they do it on a more generalized term (they call out as a whole) and it gets attention that way....

As most barns that DO rare but still exist to my knowledge are being pushed out due to the presence of inspectors showing up. But the inspectors showing up are pushing out other well known breeds as well that aren't doing anything wrong...

See the problem? It's a large issue on a huge scale that needs a lot of help from someone inside the horse world. Not just what is believed to be wrong, because most liniments and body braces test as illegal/foreign substances (saddlebreds as mentioned).

So although there is something being done about it (great!) but it's effecting other breeds also (bad)

Absorbine for example contains acetone...

VermilionStrife likes this.
  2. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

I still just can't get past the fact that people go to such lengths to win.... :( I could never imagine hurting my horse (or ALLOWING it to be done) just for a title.

3. TLFC

TLFC Senior Member

Yep, there are people who are willing to do anything to win except put in the hard work & time.

4. meljean

meljean Senior Member

There are just as many things going on in other disciplines and breeds, that are not talked about. Shirley Roth and the WP QHs for instance, how many disciplines have a trainer known for his ability to glue horsehair on a galled horse, as one did for her on a horse at The Reichert? For which she was arrested, but nothing much done to her.

Snake venom in joints to deaden the pain? Hitting horses between ears with 2x4s to get them to lower head at touch on withers in lineup? Blood letting, working them to exhaustion before they show, high tying, medicine injected in the neck to make horse too sore to want to raise its head, thin cord tied over gums under lips and back to bit to get them to be light on bit. Pulling teams being hit with hotshots to get them to lunge into the harness to yank a weighted sled, ever wonder why they do that, and why if handler isn't quick can lose a hand or finger? That's why.

Nails in ends of whips to get horse to get off one side or the other, using electric cattle prod during a hard shank, so horse looks frightened to death, cattle growth hormone implants between front legs to bulk one up, sponges up nose to make air flow less so horse gives out.

Big brouhaha over Marilyn Little who had all that tack on her horses head and tightly too, think that feels great to the horse? Rollkur? Just what do you think went on at Mark Arballos place for him to kill 2 horses and that is just ones known about. Tying one around and leaving hours on end? Tying head down to buried log or concrete blocks?

Not for nothing is there a saying of "the stupid ones die quickly".

TWH and big lick is out there where it is tut tutted about, and rightly so, but there is so much more going on too and that isn't talked about.

5. meljean

meljean Senior Member

It is hot and heavy at bush shows, and the larger shows too still, if inspectors come, barns pack up and leave.

prairiesongks, ginster and mygirl1197 like this.
  6. chy3792

chy3792 Senior Member

Nowadays the regular inspection process is incredibly strict even in small horse shows. I let some kids show my TWH in 4-H and I have had to go though more than one ordeal because my mare has a scar on one of her pasterns from a downed fence she got tangled when I was working cattle on her several years ago. It is obviously not an abuse scar but they don't let anything slide. The government sends inspectors to shows to work with the regular DQP. They can go around to trailers and check for illegal substances and often do. They go to all kinds of shows big and small and don't announce.

7. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Oh I am aware of the abuse in the QH world. Very well aware. Don't forget Cleve Wells. My horse and I win through dedication and hard work. I'm not going to go through great lengths to make him so tired he can't lift his head or beat him so he is afraid to. He knows when we're in an arena he is working into the bridle. Out on the trail? He generally still carries his head low, but he's got it up looking around. If you're consistent, they know when it's work and when it's play time.

I don't agree with gadgets and abusive methods to get a result. I never will. Abuse will never go away. Low lifes will find a way around things, which is just sad. Last QH show I went to, I got some funny looks when I was probably one of the only people who didn't have to warm up or lunge before my classes. In fact, I got on my horse's back 5 minutes before my first class started, so I had NO warm up. Another trainer's student was throwing things at my horse to try to spook him (which didn't work).

Like I said....anything for a silly title....

happygolucky and chy3792 like this.
  8. happygolucky

happygolucky Senior Member

Wow never knew the half of that...don't understand how it can be done and they can get away with it?? wth!