Some please tell my mare it's January

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Bakkir, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Carolyn Nighswander

Charm is in full blown heat.

This is cause for a lot of Arabian drama. Lots of galloping and head tossing. Blowing and snorting. And of course she was teasing the geldings.

Thankfully she was a good girl for our 30 min ride. Then it was back to squealing, squatting and peeing everywhere. lol

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Mares, gotta love them! Mind you in the three years I had Fergie only had really obvious heats twice.

3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Oh joy for you!

Bella never had particularly obvious heats until she hit the age of about 10. She's still not bad, just more flirty. Her field-mate is a full-on hussy. Much drama.

Hey, at least she was good for your ride. :)

4. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

This is the first heat that is obvious since I bought her. It is too cold to go to the barn today with -14 windchill, so hopefully tomorrow she is back to normal.

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

What?
    January is normal breeding season.

6. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

My girls are in heat year-round. Even the 33 year old. I just enjoy seeing how confused the gelding gets when the girls start sucking up to him and squealing, and then after a few days toss him away like a used Kleenex. Poor Nubbie.

7. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Not in Canada manes. We don't breed this early. Wouldn't want a December baby. Spring heats are normally March/April.

The weather has been very strange this year. It felt like Spring for the last 2 weeks.

8. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

Remi was cycling in October:rolleyes: and driving Baly (poor girl, lol) completely crazy because she just would NOT get her rear out of her face!o_O:eek: Luckily, she seems to have calmed down some with minimal drama the last month or two. Remi is definitely something of a drama queen though:rolleyes:

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

We breed for December babies for race horses, and yes, in Canada as well. You just fudge the foaling date to Jan. 1. It gives you an advantage.

Besides, this is January, horses come into heat this time of year.

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Most of us Canadians do not breed this early, racehorses different, much easier to deal with spring babies.