Some Are Best called Saved

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by CJ, Aug 16, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Senior Member

BO has dubbed him Nelson, since he came in just about the same time that Nellie the paint mare passed. He also simply gets called "Dude" and "sweetheart" quite a bit.

I cant load them on PC at work, corporate no-no. I did take 1 or 2 I can send out directly. Its hard to see much/ difference because of the flysheet.

2. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

Actually, I was responding to the 'Arabian' comment with 'Caspian' -although they are rare :)

Let us know what name he settles into.

3. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Oh. :blushing: Writer so my brain went straight to Narnia/ name idea,which was a good one imo.
    Nelson will probably stick officially.
    Its well-intentioned, but that wounds a lil fresh, so I will probably be guilty of calling him "Dude & sweetheart" for a while.

D_BaldStockings likes this.
  4. CJ

CJ Senior Member

You got me curious and info-hunting. The timing and details all match up really well. Wish there was a date on the palomino pic below, the resemblance is incredible. BO is intrigued. I think we will do some additional Digging and see if its possible to confirm if he really is Caspian. A lot of the herd was decimated by the I&I war :(. Some were gotten out of Iran and to the UK/ US as late as 1993-94. How cool if his type & timing corresponds with the effort to rescue a whole breed.
    Arab looking creatures with big bold eves, prominent jaws and high-set tails which so distinguish their larger cousins.
    The(se) horses which left Iran in July of 1993, reached the United Kingdom in February of 1994. This shipment will sustain and enhance the gene pool and healthy breeding of the Caspian horse established in Europe and the United States. By 1992, there were still only 112 breeding mares and 30 stallions in Europe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  5. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Sorry, I didnt get a nekkid pic of him this weekend. Hes still Thin, but he looks better. His joint & jaw scrapes have healed nicely. The flank gouge/s still have a stucco of stubborn scabs, but not the big thick 'hubcaps' he came in with, and no infection underneath. Hes still sweet and easy to handle, altho Not a real big fan of being wormed; he works up some energy to object to that. But readily ate the doses off a horse treat 'cookie'.
    No wonder he was going hungry... a 2 yr old mini mare was put in to keep him company, and he was deferring to it, without being threatened at all. In a double stall, all she had to do was step toward the hay rack, and he went to the other end of the stall to watch and wait. We had to make him a mucktype bucket of hay because he wouldnt approach the mini at the rack, even for what was on the ground, unless led. He would walk right back to the far end of the stall when let go of.
    [​IMG]

mooselady likes this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

Suggestion: tighten up surcingles on fly sheet. He could get a hind or foreleg hung up in them.

7. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Cutie.
    We got a Welsh pony at work that was not bad. She is 5yr and needed feet done bad and a bit of weight and for the love of God she is a cribber. Drives me nuts since she will do it right in front of me.

She is a super skittish pony. If you look at her while cleaning the pen she is gone. Cute pony though.

Bet this guy will be a looker.

8. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Yah, dont worry, it was snugged up a lil. (y). He laid down a lot initially and nobody wanted him to get caught up in it.
    He is bright eyed, sweet, alert, has a lil more neck and the rib-to-spine connections are gone/ less obvious. Still Waay too thin but hes making slow steady improvement. He has figured out how to get hay out of the rack, and no longer gives the "Whatd you do That For?" look :cautious: when its put there to keep his mini companion out of/ from hoarding it in the 'muck' bucket.
    His meals are still mashed/ mush and 4 times a day.
    I will start looking in consignment for decent pjs for him, hes going to need some help staying warm, Im sure.

Larkspade likes this.