Some Are Best called Saved

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by CJ, Aug 16, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Senior Member

BOs rescue was asked to make room to take in a pony.
    In a word, even by rescue standards, WOW.
    Supposedly he was out with big, healthy horse/s that wouldnt let him eat, or go in shelter.
    He taped at 12h, an app calculated his weight to be 350 lbs. "Aged", wasnt thrilled about people trying to look at his teeth, which at a literal glance suggest hes 20ish+.. I did see triangular cups and no Galvaynes groove.
    Hes sweet, has some energy, enough to be evasive if nec or object to eg the teeth look.
    He has scabby scrapes on All his pointed joints, hip, shoulder, gaskin, both sides, and both jaws. "Looks like he was dragged" but my other guess is he was laying someplace hostile to his skin.
    There is the caveat and concern that this kind of neglect may have compromised his organs, although he has recent vet workup stats that dont indicate any internal problems.
    He now has a large stall with turnout to himself, a raised rack with fine stem hay in front of him constantly, and is stylin in a nice new fly sheet and matching foreleg fly boots.
    Hes going to be Cute with 100 lbs on him. For however long BO has him, hopefully a good long time, he will never have to worry about getting/ looking like this again.
    Like something the cat dragged in...
    This is what we call a Save.. A life, and from a predicament or scenario, for the ponys own good.
    [​IMG]

Saph, Larkspade, Bebe and 12 others like this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

He'll be even cuter with 200 lbs, which he needs, on him. He's probably a little pistol, too, judging by the look on his face~!!

Varisha, Nu5ha and D_BaldStockings like this.
  3. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

Has he had any bloodwork? And is he scheduled for dental float?

Appears to be a lack of groceries rather than illness, but one never knows.
    Hard for a pony to get that thin, but I would expect he may have been living on concrete with minimal feed; which would explain the pressure sores and bonerack condition.

His attitude looks bright, though.

Good health to him!

4. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Good job. JFC, I hate people for letting an animal get like this. But, then on the positive, it makes me happy ha has a good home and will be able to eat and get the care he deserves.

5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Poor guy. Glad he has had a soft landing!

6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

He's got a spunky attitude, he'll bounce back fine. Good save on this little guy. ;)

7. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Agreed; 100 lbs is a conservative estimate. A tape 'weighed' him at 401 but there were Gaps of light/ air along his withers where the tape didnt even begin to touch.

We have made sort of a joke of "I hope they werent keeping him like that because hes a lil... twerp.. at a healthy weight."

He had been vetted, and ironically his teeth and feet were recently done, where he was. Part of his story was he and/or a horse he was with were for sale. Maybe they thought having teeth and feet done wouldnt make them look neglected, or give some credit to the excuse "hes just old". He we will have follow up vetting as he recovers, to make sure hes getting what he needs, doesnt have an underlying or concealed/ undisclosed problem.
    He has an almost inobvious toe crack up a hind foot. Looks superficial, but toe to top, maybe a periople crack. Its Right on the line of a light band/stripe of hoof and a dark one, so no one else seems to have seen it previously. We'll take a better look at that and keep an eye on it, have the farrier determine if hes going to need shoes to stabilize it. We opted not to mess with his hind feet to get a better look at the time, which was Day 2 after his arrival. I did pick up a forefoot to see if hed even give it; he was resistant at first, but got off it willingly the 2nd time. And it was in good shape, not long, not ragged, and clean not thrushy. His feet may have been the best looking part of him.

8. CJ

CJ Senior Member

After a week he looks minimally better, a lil more neck and a little less drawn. His joint point booboos are healing. He is alert and sweet and attentive. He let us partially unstrap and fold back his fly sheet to get a look at his ribs & hips. His toe crack was worse, so I dared to go down there with some Rainmaker hoof oil, and do all his feet, the outer walls anyhow. Other than almost putting his hind feet together, he didnt move.
    Reportedly hes been vet aged as 19. Hes very delicate and refined in build, like maybe hes Arab or cross. We can totally 'see' him having been someones show pony in better days.

mooselady, Varisha and Dona Worry like this.
  9. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

Caspian?

CJ likes this.
  10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Got any new photos?