Solving a mystery, where are all these foals coming from???

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by meljean, Jul 4, 2018.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

From May to end of June...there have been close to 300 foals supposedly shipping into Jamesport, MO.

200 around first week in May...75 this past weekend. That is close to 300 very, very young foals being dumped at auction house. But here is the kicker.

These foals have no coggins, no health papers and no bill of sale is given, even if asked for according to people who have 'saved' these foals. Foals cost 150 dollars each.

First batch of 200 was supposed to be PMU foals, and I did a thread here in rescue on that. There are NO PMU ranches in the US. 26 in Canada and those foals are out of registered QH mares, bred to registered QH stallions, with small number that are bred for warmbloods. These foals are not allowed to leave the ranches until September. So that was quickly debunked. ***Note that there is a rescue in MO that claims to have PMU foals and mares...and took in 1.3 million in 2016..for a problem that has been over in US for over 10 years now?

The other story I was told on those, was that they belonged to farmer down the road? Never got the straight on any of that.

Last weekend there were 75 foals supposedly trucked in this time from reservation in OK. Someone else was told KS. And again, no coggins, *which on foals this young would they pull them?* no health certificate and no bill of sales either.

150 dollars each again.

Some of these foals are in bad shape too. foals from jamesport.jpg foals from jamesport 2.jpg foals from jamesport 3.jpg foals in jamesport 4.jpg foals in jamesport 5.jpg

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Oh my gosh those poor babies. :(

3. sherian

sherian Senior Member

not sure on US but canada I believe it is under 6 months foals at foot travel on mom's coggins, no mare they need their own as i remember.

endurgirl likes this.
  4. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I remember going to an auction a few years back that brought in 30 foals each week for a month. Coggins was pulled at the auction house before sale, all grade foals, and each sold for $35-$55. Some were skinny like your pics and a lot had crooked legs. When I asked where they all came from, I was told Oklahoma (I'm in MO). A "breeder" sold his foal crop every year and took that money to buy hay for his horses for winter. Shipping them all up here would've eaten up any profits right? Then paying for a Coggins at $20 each? Something smelled fishy to me back then too.
    ETA: That auction house burned down shortly after and never rebuilt. Maybe the same foals are now being shipped to Jamesport instead.

CoffeeBean and meljean like this.
  5. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

That's ridiculous! Poor little ones!

Did they have an approximate age before being brought to the auction? Some are so thin it's hard to tell.

6. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

It was hard to tell since there were a few draft cross as well. My estimate would be 4-5 months. What blew me away was there were so many foals that they wanted to sell, that they had multiple shipments. We are a very rural area. If the whole shipment came in all at once, I doubt there would've been enough buyers. I saw several "trainers" buying, but the horse market back then was not good to raise, feed, train and sell and turn a profit. It was so sad since a lot of those foals were so horribly conformed or crooked, it would've been kinder to PTS. Such a waste!
    ETA: Meljean - for your research, these sales were in Archie Mo at the Archie Livestock Auction. It sold and changed hands then burned down. I might have the original owners name in my contacts but won't post.

CoffeeBean and meljean like this.
  7. happygolucky

happygolucky Senior Member

This is a extremely disturbing to know this is happening.
    Some questions: Are these foals weaned when taken from the mares?
    Are they all put up for sale as they cannot be sent to slaughter at that age?'!
    So many wrongs here

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

That's some very poor quality foals, a few look better off euthanized as their conformation is so very bad. :(

Someone is going to know about this, it's just a matter of time.

CoffeeBean and doublelranch like this.
  9. meljean

meljean Senior Member

I was told if under 4 months here in US...but no papers at all with these foals, and they won't give bill of sale either.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Not weaned, just pulled I would say.

And just saw where there is another batch scheduled to come in couple of weeks.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.