SOLD ELI MILLER custom, ladies saddle

Discussion in 'Horse Classifieds' started by Cadence Call, May 16, 2010.

1. Cadence Call

Cadence Call Full Member

I recently purchased this handcrafted Buena Vista/Plantation saddle and much to my dismay the seat is just too big. Apparently these saddles were made by Eli (now retired) most commonly as 17 & 19" seats, this is a custom made 21" (I apparently need a 17" and didn't know it when I bought the saddle). The seat measurements on these saddles are unique to themselves, so this is made for a woman that wears a size 14-18 pant or size 34"-40" mens. Unfortunately, it is too large for me (I wear a 10). It is truly the most beautiful saddle I have ever seen (which was why I bought it), definitely made for a woman, and the most comfortable I have ever ridden in. The original owner, who wore a size 16 pant, had it custom made for her, I believe she rode a TWH. I have used it on my Foxtrotter mare and it fits her very well, with proof in how well she gaits with it and the sweat pattern at the end of the day (wish it fit me as well!). The seat is actually built on chair webbing which is why it is so comfortable (a design that, along with his fine craftsmanship, has made Eli so popular, check the reviews) and because of its english type leathers my knee and ankle pain disappear when I ride in this saddle.

To describe the saddle: all handcrafted leather, unique starburst/floral tooling, chestnut with dark brown padded leather seat, gaited tree, A-Fork, has a horn, english leathers with leather covered-tooled EZ ride stirrups, brass hardware, western rigging and back cinch, matching tooled breast collar, matching tooled halter/bridle and matching reins. All made by Eli Miller.

Ultimately I would love to find someone who might also have an Eli Miller whose seat is too small for them and is looking for a larger seat and would like to swap, or I would be willing to sell it outright so I can purchase another. I know Eli made very few of these 21" seats as they were totally custom (did a little research lately). Eli has now retired, and his nephew Henry makes a similar saddle but I have heard that the leather is not "quite" as nice, but I still plan on ordering one from him (if I can't find another used Eli Miller in a 17" seat this time!), my cost will be $1,200.00 for the saddle alone.

As mentioned I have the matching halter/bridle, rear cinch and breast collar which I am willing to sell since it is a matched set, or I can keep it to use with the replacement saddle. I will sell the saddle alone for $800.00 or with all the matching tack for $950.

I am so delighted with the saddle, I would just like to have one that fits. I can e:mail photos if you would like to provide your e:mail address or just give me a call. (I like to talk to someone when I go to buy a saddle :D!)

Smiles,
    Teresa

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. paintgal6

paintgal6 Senior Member

do you have any pictures?

3. Cadence Call

Cadence Call Full Member

I do have lot's of pictures, but the HGS link for uploading pictures is still not working. If you would like to send me your e-mail address, I will be glad to forward them.

Smiles,
    Teresa

4. Dancers Mom

Dancers Mom Senior Member+

It is not working yet. I would love to see pics of it also.

5. Cadence Call

Cadence Call Full Member

Hi Dancers Mom - I would be glad to send the photos to you I just need your e-mail address to send them to.

Smiles,
    Teresa

6. Cadence Call

Cadence Call Full Member

Thanks Dancers Mom - your pics are on the way as well.

7. Cadence Call

Cadence Call Full Member

Pictures are sent check your mail!

Thanks,
    Teresa

8. Dancers Mom

Dancers Mom Senior Member+

I did not get them.

9. mingiz

mingiz Full Member

I have an Eli Miller Buena Vista also. But mine has the western fenders. I wouldn't sell this saddle for anything. I did get a Henry Miller and I sold it. NOT the same quaility as Eli by far.....Good Luck in your search....:wink:

10. Cadence Call

Cadence Call Full Member

Well - the good news is I sold the saddle yesterday (sorry to all of you who were interested). The bad news is now I have to find a smaller one. I am glad you posted that mingiz - it is good to know as I go on the hunt again. I had heard that the Henry's are not as good of quality. You are the second I have had tell me that they have owned both an Eli and a Henry and kept the Eli and sold the Henry. So I guess I will be on the hunt for an Eli only which will make it a lot harder to find since he has retired.

I did run across a "Kentuckian" 16" seat by Eli. I guess he only made a few of those by request. It looks like some kind of cross between a Buena Vista and a regular trail saddle he made but with the english leathers (you will never get me to go back to western fenders they just kill my ankles now that I am getting old!)

Have you ever seen or tried one of those? The price is right on it so now that I am on the hunt again I may go ahead and buy that and try it.

Smiles,
    Teresa