Softride Boots

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by EnglishRider234, Aug 3, 2017.

1. EnglishRider234

EnglishRider234 Senior Member

Any one have experience with SoftRide boots? In October I am travelling to a show 3 hrs away, and it is known for being a "concrete world". Of course I will be getting mats for his stall, but I also want to reduce the chance of getting sore.

Any of you have experience with Softride boots? Or something that works the same, but less expensive? I do not need anything for turnout/riding. It will strictly be for trailering and stalling.

thanks!

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

love soft ride boots, actually need to get ones for April as Bob's old ones don't fit well. If you are using mats in the stall, there shouldn't be a need for the soft ride boots.

Most all the shows around here have stalls with concrete floors. I just bed REALLY heavy

Curly_Horse_CMT likes this.
  3. EnglishRider234

EnglishRider234 Senior Member

It's the QH Congress. This is my first time showing there. I've heard it's terribly hard on the horses. Waiting in line - concrete. Going from barn to barn - concrete. Since we have to rent mats from a certain company I worry about the mats being worn out. If I knew I was bringing my own that would provide adequate comfort, I think I would be less worried! I would like to think the company would do quality checks.... but providing mats for hundreds of exhibitors - I really doubt it happens.

4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

We rented mats for POA Congress at Tulsa. They were good quality. I wouldn't worry about quality.

For $95 they better be good quality :D

Three hours in the trailer is nothing IMO. So, I would just bed the trailer deep. I think the hardest part of trailering for feet isn't the hardness but the heat from the road.

EnglishRider234 likes this.
  5. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

My cousin uses them on the fronts of her good horses. They wear them on the trailer, standing at the trailer and on hard surfaces. She loves them and they really seem to help her mare with lameness issues.

6. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I agree, 3 hours isn't much.

SStack sells some lightweight, smaller mats to take to shows and I would probably consider them if I showed a lot. I saw someone hauling in a BUNCH of full size mats at the show last week... NO THANK YOU. those suckers are heavy and un-maneuverable.

I tried the small puzzle foam mats at a show last summer... those were just a bad idea. They came apart, and she played with them. lol

I would definitely do the rental mats as TL said for a longer show if they were available. I have also heard of people buying the foam insulation boards and putting those down under shavings

7. Curly_Horse_CMT

Curly_Horse_CMT Senior Member

They did wonders for an Icelandic gelding that I took care of; he had foundered and when he was rehabbed SoftRide boots were part of his new regime. They wore pretty well considering he had them on 24/7.

8. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I've used them on my mare during and post founder (reason for purchase), transitioning to barefoot with my gelding, for lost shoes, ouchy feet soft from wet conditions, and trailering as well. I have been absolutely thrilled with them. Jessie wore them for probably 3 months 24/7 (taken off and cleaned daily). They have held up to stall and paddock (medium sized runouts with nice footing) use and clean up to look practically new. I don't know if I would have bought them had my mare not been foundering, especially since they're pricey, but I'm sure glad I did. I've had them now for 3 years. I'd highly recommend them :)