Soaking/Rinsing Hay to Remove Dust and Mold

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by jojozwiebel, Nov 26, 2018.

1. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

^

Thoughts? I thought our hay smelled a little funky but honestly I might be going crazy. I cannot see any mold but it is a little dusty.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I made a diy steamer not long ago to kill mold spores on my hay that got a little moldy during the summer from the awful humidity we had. It was not the white powdery mold dust that you get when it's baled wet, but it smelled moldy on the outside of the bales.

I made a thread about it at the time:
    DIY Hay Steamer

Steam will kill the mold spores, while soaking will not. If it is just dusty, wetting it will help from an airway health perspective because they aren't inhaling dust. With steaming though, the hay came out smelling super fresh again, and she ate it up! It was kind of a PITA though, and I happened to have the supplies, which made it easier.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Do not soak it. Just dunk it to wet it. If it soaks, you soak out the nutrition. Your object is just to keep the dust from becoming airborne.

Alsosusieq2 and Alyssa Hughes like this.
  4. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

I don't mean to hijack your thread @jojozwiebel , but what do you do if your horse doesn't eat wet hay? Mine will not no matter what it seems...

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Haven’t tried it yet but my horse dips his hay in water buckets so I will assume he will eat it.

Maybe offer her usual meal split in two, one soaked and the other not, until she eats it? It just dampen it at first? @Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If your horse dunks it's hay, it needs it's teeth floated.
    That is indicative of a horse who has a wave in their back teeth and only a couple teeth actually hitting, so they need to soften the hay to get it chewed.

Call the dentist out asap.

7. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

That’s really interesting, thanks! He only does it sometimes, like when his hay is right by his bucket. But I will definitely look into it. He had his teeth done this summer and gets done yearly.

I put his two flakes in a hay net and rinsed it under the faucet. He liked it! It would be sooo much easier during the nicer months, though.

manesntails likes this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

Put a little salt or molasses on it. You don't have to keep doing it.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

Soaking will not completely remove mold from hay. I wouldn't recommend it for that purpose.

10. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

I do not see any mold, it just doesn’t smell as “fresh” but I suppose that happens. Hay is second cutting grass from our field.

manesntails likes this.