Soaking Alfalfa Cubes?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Tremor, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Tremor

Tremor Senior Member+

Can somebody please tell me how to soak them, how long, how much water please?

I just got some for my mares and I'm clueless. :eek:

Thanks!

2. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

I just break them apart into bite size pieces and the horses are fine with them.
    If you want to soak them, just put them in a small bucket and pour about a half quart of warm water and let them sit about five minutes and pour off the excess water.

3. OTTBrider

OTTBrider Senior Member

This is what I do! Keeping them dry also helps wear down their teeth, so they can go longer in between floats. :cool:

4. Tremor

Tremor Senior Member+

I heard that it can 2 hours for them to soak?

And, I need to soak them because of my mares' horrendous teeth. :(

5. Riddles

Riddles Senior Member

I don't even break them up because it makes them work harder, thus take a lot more time, to get them gobbled up. They could never eat the same poundage of alfalfa hay as fast as they eat the cubes anyway.

I think they like it when I get to the bottom of the bag and it's a mixture of cubes and shredded alfalfa. They always vacuum the shreds up before they start on the cubes. :p

6. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

How long they take to soak entirely depends on how hard they are.

some are like bricks and need hours.

Others can almost be broken apart by hand and need just minutes.

You'll at least want to completely cover them with the water. You may need to add more if they are really dry and soak up some of it. If it's soupy in the end and the horse doesn't like it, you'll want to use less next time and/or just pour off some/all of the extra.

7. all4him

all4him Senior Member+

Put them in a bucket and cover them with warm water (if you can, cold works fine too but it just takes a little longer to soak) by a few inches. Give it 20 minutes then reach your hand in there to see how they feel. If they are still hard, let them soak more but you can usually at this point break them apart more to get them even softer. We do soak them all day but we're doing alfalfa cubes and beet pulp in the same bucket so it takes a bit longer.

8. Golden Horse

Golden Horse Banned

I just put evening feeds on to soak when I finish in the morning, and morning feeds when I finish at night, then it's part of my routine and I don't forget.

9. Tremor

Tremor Senior Member+

That sounds like a good plan. :)

10. all4him

all4him Senior Member+

Yep, that's pretty much what we do but we only feed the beet pulp/alfalfa cubes at night so they get soaked in the morning.