So you've been accused of being a bad, incompetent, unsafe horse person?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by NaeNae, Jun 7, 2018.

1. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

LOL. Y’all. This thread wasn’t to say “horses aren’t dangerous, F U imma do what I want” it was for people to admit that we ALL do stupid things, stop being so above and harsh to one another. That was the point to the thread. And it’s passve aggressively aimed at a few certain people. Not nearly everyone on this forum. ;)

Sam C., Arem, manesntails and 2 others like this.
  2. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

There are stupid risks and then there are calculated risks. Everything we do with horses is risky. Life in general is risky! There are things we can do to make a situation safer or more dangerous for ourselves. There are also times when we do a quick risk assessment and, with full awareness of the risks involved, decide we’re comfortable doing whatever it is.

A local instructor was recently hospitalised after the horse she was clipping kicked out and sent her flying across the breezeway, cracking her head on the wall. She rides difficult horses all the time, yet it was clipping that landed her in hospital. I read about a woman in the UK who died after her horse spooked as she was leading it to the paddock and the lead rope got wrapped around her neck. I mean, you do get freak accidents, but in hindsight there’s always something that could’ve been done to prevent it. I always wear boots around horses because I value my toes. I always wear a helmet because I value my brain and don’t want my husband to be stuck looking after a vegetable. There are a million tiny things I do to improve my chances of coming home safely from the stables. I honestly don’t need to be taking any unnecessary risks on top of riding a neurotic WB.

3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

:idea:

I thought of another one!

There was this one day last year, when I was rehabbing Brandi, that I was taking her for a short bareback ride around the property. (I never wear a helmet. I can’t promise I was wearing boots. I can’t remember). And she spooked at something by the dreaded evergreen trees. I came off, and I really, really didn’t want to walk alllllll the way back to barn for something to use to help me climb back on.

So I decided that this was the day that I would learn how to jump up on my horse bareback. I told her to stand (where she had spooked, mind you), took several steps back, ran at her (which I never do) and flung myself at her. It took at about 3 tries, and her eyes were as big as saucers, but I got on. :rofl: She stood like a rock the whole time. Twitched a little, and was definitely like “what the actual heck?!:eek2: , but never moved.

In spite of how much of a flake as she can be sometimes, she really is a solid horse. She puts up with so many shenanigans from me.:rolleyes:

4. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

That's the thing... newbie or novice (even those who don't know they're novice) don't know they're taking a calculated risk. IMO, someone has to tell them. I'd hate to have someone get hurt in a preventable way because I was too afraid I'd offend... :no:

You don't know who else is listening or reading. Sometimes I worry we're condoning "bad" practices by not speaking up. There are ways to speak up kindly though, and some of us are better than others at that :whistle:

5. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

IMO this is key.

So many on this forum have good input and experience but are so incredibly caustic at times that it makes people just shut down. NOBODY is going to listen to someone saying "Sell the horse, you're clueless, get instruction and a clue, idiot!" And that sadly is only barely an exaggeration from some comments I've seen.

People use the excuse "I'm blunt" but really, communication is a skill like any other. If you (general you) don't want to take the effort to word things politely maybe you should avoid reading threads that will make you mad. Everyone will be happier that way.

You get more flies with honey than vinegar...

6. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I just thought of a fun one!

I showed this picture to a "friend" cause I had just put in the side window and was all proud.

[​IMG]

She instantly starting railing on about how my horse is going to trip on the stall mat outside his stall and kill himself and OMG, is that a 3 rail fence!?!?!? They're going to kill themselves on that too! And they'll also probably flip outside of the new window and die that way. She said my facility was "one of the most dangerous she's seen"...

I was immediately livid and thought of a lot of things I'd love to say but instead I sent back this pic and said "You're right, one of them just looked at the fence and spontaneously died. Bye!"

[​IMG]

7. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

0610181212b.jpg
    Here's me riding Blue, bareback, rope halter and leadrope with neighbor's grand kid. 0610181212.jpg

GONE ROPING, foxtrot and Arem like this.
  8. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

Hah.

I got another one that got me the "bad owner of the week award"- at least according to my pony.

She got waaaay too much hay one evening last week, so I filled up her small hole hay bag, gave that to her, and kicked the rest onto the stall of the WB across the aisle.

Fat pony on a diet! Waaahhhhhhhh.

NaeNae and foxtrot like this.
  9. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

OMG, I asked my dad to feed mine a week or so back and when I got there, despite having a note hung right beside the electric hay scale with incredibly simple instructions on how much hay they need (really, it takes 2 seconds to weigh it) I found he had just bypassed the nets and filled their hay racks to overflowing. I had to go in and take it out and the death glares they were sending me were so sad. But I laughed, because I'm a bad person.

GONE ROPING and Arem like this.
  10. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

I know!

The barn guys feel bad for her, because she has to wear a grazing muzzle, and gets no grain, and yada yada yada. She looks like the balloon frog in Shrek, I swear. They tell me, "She's so hungry, she ate all her hay so I gave her more". *headwall*

GONE ROPING, Larkspade and foxtrot like this.