So Tired of It

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by MzCarol, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MuckMuck

MuckMuck Senior Member

Manes...Get out of my head!:horseon2:

GONE ROPING and manesntails like this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Hey, I'm having a hurricane over here; I have to hide somewhere~!!

ginster likes this.
  3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Oh honey. That is a load of bs. Many of us can, regularly post pics, updates, etc Of working, soft, well trained non fried horses, and are speaking from experience.
    Many of us have the hard heads and had to learn the hard way. I've learned so freaking much from the experienced members of this forum. From hoof trimming to saddle fit to how to REALLY ride and train effectively. But one has to have an open mind and be open to REALLY helping the horse, not just using the horse as a freaking tool.
    Carol, what you could have done was let him exit, work him when he exited, come back in the arena and gotten off and been done.the arena or any other place should be an enjoyable place.

GONE ROPING, MuckMuck and manesntails like this.
  4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

So have I.. from about 5 members. The rest..pfff... waste of internet space mostly.

I've learned MUCH, MUCH more from people in the "real world."

NaeNae and CarlisleChipper like this.
  5. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Again with the character review. Stop it - you're too old to behave that way towards someone you don't even know. If it was about ego I wouldn't have said, several times in different ways, that I am responsible for the current state he is in - life came first and horses were lawn ornaments. I said, repeatedly, that this is (now was, mope over) a moment, a mopey moment of feeling bummed that things went that far backward and remembering what it was like going through it the first time. That isn't ego, that's honesty. Every horse person has those moments and if they say they don't I'll bet they are lying.

You're not listening to me and it would be nice if you did. Upon entering the arena Chevy was fine. He wasn't tight, he wasn't hesitant, he was forward and willing at a very casual walk. He went through each obstacle like he has done many, many times before. He was great! He didn't speed up, he didn't get jiggy, he didn't get objectionable, he didn't refuse, he didn't startle. He was not anxious or fretful or stiff - his head was not up in the air but slightly above horizontal, ears and tail relaxed.

Because he has had no consistent work I went with zero expectations. I was spending time with him and if we had had to spend the entire event with me on the ground standing there with him so he could just watch that would have been fine. There was no pressure to succeed - this wasn't a show or a series or anything. I did watch him very closely for signs of upset or distress throughout and they were not there - until he simply decided he wanted 'out'. That horse requires a rider, not a passenger. That horse requires a leader, not a buddy. In that precise moment it was not too much to ask of him to stay in the arena to complete a very menial task and then walk out at my decision rather than his.

I don't know if you recall, but a few years back I was talking about Chevy and his nightmare trailer loading issue, complete with alligator rolls. We got that worked out but to this day he goes with a chain on his nose. The chain is never used, no pressure on it, but the fact that it's there is enough to keep him in line and loading to perfection. We tried removing the chain after 2 YEARS of successful loads and the first time without the chain he was great. The second time without the chain he was right back to his old schtick. We put the chain right back on and he loaded perfectly. Ridiculous, right?!? This is the horse that he is. He's incredibly smart and I honestly believe it entertains him to find loopholes to exploit.

I knew he wasn't the 'pull out of the pasture after months off' horse from the beginning. I don't need or want to sell him because I do have another horse who 'is' that more composed partner.

6. manesntails

Then what do you have to complain about?
    You say you knew he wasn't that horse, then you start a thread on how TIRED you are of it?
    Next time just make it a RANT thread then.

You are TAKING it as a character assault. I'm not making one.

I would THINK you would be open to taking a different approach with him since he isn't the kind you EXPECT to not fuss when pushed past his limits. You say you KNOW he's not that horse, so, what's there to be “so tired of“?

The horse is who he is. You don't like him, get rid of him.

7. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Good to know you have NEVER had a bad DAY or a bad MOMENT - you're freaking AMAZING!

8. manesntails

Danke für die Blumen.

9. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

This
    after the line up was over, is where I would've stopped, taken him back to the trailer, bridel off, girth loosened and parked him in front of the hay net for awhile to let him chill.

Otherwise the way it looks to me is I'm just picking a fight that nobody wins.

Now I'm not there and I don't know the history of the horse here but it doesn't sound to me like he was just being a turd, it sounds like he was fried, physically and probably a little mentally too.
    These clinics like you went to throw a lot at a horse all at once that they rarely see irl.

10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Flowers? lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.