So Tired of It

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by MzCarol, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

It's OK @Alsosusieq2 .. I agree with you. I don't put up with that crap either. Charlie did the gate sour thing to me 3x last year when I was starting him. The first time, I babied him and petted him and was all "nicey, nice." As soon as he went away from the gate, I got off and rewarded him and ended the session. Same with time 2 .... The third time, not so much... I was easy on him the first 2x bc he was a baby and didn't know better... but after the 3rd time (and worst time), I'd had enough. The third time was the very worst and he had started to seriously threaten to rear in his gate sour tantrum. I did exactly what you just described. I got after him with my split reins and I MADE his ass go away from the gate. He expressed his displeasure with me for about 60 seconds. After that, guess what? He rode off, we had a good session and he NEVER did it again. Sorry, but "nicey nice" only works on some horses and some things and sometimes. Why would I have kept doing it that way when he was literally getting worse each time? After I got after him, he rode like a rock star and I never had any issues with it ever again. It's just things you deal with when you're training a horse. None of them are perfect. They all have some kind of issue at some point in their lives. If I wouldn't have gotten after him, he probably would have ended up being a nightmare barn/gate sour horse.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Keep it up. You're making yourself look like a
    Well, you never know when you're replying exactly what's going on with their horse is why I came back and said I needed to read the whole thread because of that. I just replied to the first post.

You're right though in your situation. I needed to review exactly what was going on in the long thread though and I hadn't. Probably much later now since I can't sleep with this stupid headache.

3. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Fair point, if what you are doing isn't working it doesn't make sense to keep doing it.
    But the op has been doing it the spank 'em n make 'em way and isn't getting anywhere with her horse. Should she just keep after it then? Or should she try something else?

Oaks, manesntails, Circle C and 2 others like this.
  4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

No, you are the one out of line. You are the one going off the deep end currently.

You are the one who said “hyper agressive.” You are the one who said “smack the tar out of them” and “keep doing it until he gets the message.”

That is highly agressive language and does not suggest “simply fanning them with the reins.”

“Smack the tar out of them” is not “fanning them with the reins.” So if that’s not what you meant and it was simply poor wording on your part, why take that out on me? Why not adjust and explain yourself properly?

“Hyper agressive” is more than just “agressive” or “very aggressive.” It’s very strong and equates with extreme agression or “overly agressive.” (Which, ironically, is exactly how you are behaving towards me currently)

Binca likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.