So Tired of It

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by MzCarol, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

This is a good suggestion because both horse and rider “win” in the scenario, and you’ve also given the OP a good way to “see” what you mean. (Hindsight always being 20/20). (y) Ending before the tantrums is so much more beneficial than trying to deal with the tantrum and the aftermath. Proactive rather than reactive is going to be important with this horse, IMO.

As important as the horse listening to the rider and following direction is the rider listening to the horse.

Learning when to stop and how to stop is an acquired skill, too, I think. Just like everything else. I’m sure we’ve all been in situations where we asked a little too much or pushed a little to hard. Or just couldn’t see the way “out” because it was a little too late. Accidentally. And that’s how we’ve learned.

2. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

I feel like perhaps some members could show a little more empathy to @MzCarol. It sounds like she is feeling emotional and completely overwhelmed, which I can totally relate to. Some horses really do take you to your mental limits and make you question everything about yourself.

While things didn’t end the way you hoped, it sounds like there were a lot of positives. Try not to let the negatives overshadow your wins. Perhaps next time take note of the signs he is starting to lose interest then quickly finish the session before he reaches tantrum stage. You did the right thing by pushing through then ending the session on your own terms, but it’s better if you make a conscious decision to finish at a high point in your training session rather than continuing until things start to unravel and you’re stuck doing damage control. I call it “banking the win.” It’s like walking away from the poker table while you’re out in front. Sure, you could keep playing poker. There’s a chance you might win more money. But it’s more likely you’ll end up losing all the money you’ve just won and then some. Resist the temptation and bank your chips while you’re still ahead. If your horse has tried really hard for you give him a pat, dismount, and put him away. You’ve still made progress and it’s likely the horse will try even harder for you next time.

Oaks, Alsosusieq2, Arem and 1 other person like this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I think he has you buffaloed hon, he knows he can pull this carp whenever he feels like it. I am not sure how I'd handle it precisely. .I probably would get hyper aggressive on his little butt and spin him left, then right and smack the tar out of him if he didn't move quickly enough and keep doing it till I felt he'd gotten the message he wasn't going to get away with behavior like that. Then I'd leave the arena and not show him publicly till he behaved himself. Idk. I get the impression he's been pulling things like that on a whim and that's not cool. I'm not big on force, but you can't let him dictate like that.

If you'd run him out fatigue wise or ring soured him, it'd be different. I don't get the impression that's the case at all.

I think he's maybe not the pony for you too. He'd only have pulled that malarkey once and never again with me and he'd know I'd call his hand every time. Think about maybe passing him on, as being sick and tired of this is no fun. I wish I lived down the road I could talk you through this and maybe you'd get him consistent, but I've a feeling he's a smart little devil. He normally means well, but when he doesn't.. he's a real pita and he always will be - with you.

Good luck though.

Circle C likes this.
  4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Because that’s definitely quality training and not abuse.....

5. Alsosusieq2

I don't mean beat him Arem. Smacking the tar out of him with the ends of the reins. You usually need to only do this once, not fight constantly. You know me better than that. Stop trying to start an argument.

NaeNae, lucky_pine and NBChoice like this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

I posted earlier, but didn't read this entire thread. Catch up to it tomorrow and see what gives here. It's a long one..

7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

“Hyper aggressive”
    “Smack the tar out of him”
    “Keep doing it until he gets the message”

That doesn’t sound like “just smacking him with the end of the reins. You only need to do it once.”

If that’s what you meant, why not just say that?

8. Alsosusieq2

You really are an argumentative little minx. You can literally "you know what" off, when you get there..keep going.

I'm not about to explain myself to you. You really have turned into someone with a chip on their shoulder. Last time I read anything you write, I've had you on ignore for awhile and it's so much nicer than dealing with your nonsense.

lucky_pine likes this.
  9. Arem

Arem Senior Member

My nonsense? Really?

If you were to get “hyper aggressive” with my horse, running her and forth after overloading her while “smacking the tar out of her” “until she gets the message” she’d bolt. And eventually throw you, if she didn’t immediately launch into bucking and rearing.

Getting hyper aggressive would throw her into flight mode. Running her back and forth would make it worse. Smacking her on top of it? Once she launched you, you’d be lucky to ever catch her again. She’d be a running, shivering, fearful mess.

How do you know how this pony will respond? What if he would respond worse than my horse? OP could be seriously hurt.

That’s not training. That’s bullying.

Hyper aggression has no place in horse training except for very extreme circumstances.

Pirate likes this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

You really think taking reins and fanning them while spinning is being a bully. Arem I'm tired of this. You've been pulling this whenever you get a bur up your saddle. You're out a line.

I actually qualified what I said also, if you read it. I didn't say certain, I said probably.

what is wrong with you?

Seriously.

You get threads closed right and left, you always think you're right and you never quit.

It's really ugly. Very. I wish I could literally block you, because you never know which person is on ignore.

I know you're up on a soapbox and ranting for whatever reason, because I already stated what I meant.

Sick of your bs. Totally.

lucky_pine, NBChoice and Circle C like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.