So I bought a horse...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by reicheru, Feb 6, 2017.

1. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

And I really didn't need another horse but I'm a sucker and they all see me coming. She's a grade mostly blind 8yo mare that I picked up from a KB in IL. Super nice looking mare and smart. I literally have no expectations from her other than basic ground manners. She can stand around and be eye candy for all I care. Fencing is all blind horse friendly and I, unfortunately, have experience managing horses with moonblindness. First things first is to give her a few days to relax and acclimate to her new surroundings before I have the vet out for an overall assessment then go from there... I'd like to buddy her up with Morgan who is low man on the totem pole and mellow but we'll play it by ear. So this is either Helen or Violet... I haven't decided which yet

Attached Files:

2. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Kudos, nice save. Any idea when or why she went blind?
    That young if its lepto or lyme maybe meds can do something to curtail it.

Spoopy_Doopy_Potato likes this.
  3. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

Not yet... I'm suspecting uveitis for now but once she settles in a bit and the vet gets out here, hopefully I'll know more. One eye is super cloudy and the other isn't quite as bad. Watched her walk around the adjoined run in, I'm positive she isn't completely blind like my leopard.

Spoopy_Doopy_Potato likes this.
  4. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

Left eye is Def worse than right and a much better body shot. So far she hasn't walked into any walls so yeah I'm thinking she can see... now hopefully she will be better at keeping a fly mask on than Spot.

Attached Files:

5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

She's cute! I vote Violet!

6. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Sounds the same as BOs mare that went blind starting a couple years ago. Initial diagnosis was cataracts. Then uvitis. Lepto and lyme both cause uvitis. Testing for either and both isnt cheap, but the vet said same cycline drug antibiotics are used against either/both. Mare was getting pupil dilating eyedrops at night, afraid she wouldnt be able to see past /thru a mask during day. She was on a glaucoma med too. So long as she doesnt have any trouble avoiding a couple branches/ trees, she gets to stay out in big field with the herd, altho vet suggested putting her in a smaller field with No overhangs/ obstacles. Other than the vision issue shes happy & healthy and a nice horse to have around.

D_BaldStockings likes this.
  7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Ahh..good for her, she's a lucky lady to wind up with you. :)

8. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Nope, she's clearly a Helen!

Lovely, lovely lady.

9. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

She looks sweet!
    I vote for Violet.

10. TheSnowLeopard

TheSnowLeopard Senior Member

She looks so sweet. I vote for Violet!

As a side note, don't underestimate the abilities of blind horses. There are many who've been competed and trained successfully. My old favorite lesson horse was a blind POA mare. She was perfect in the arena and could go on the trails that she knew as long as another horse was leading.