So Disgusted with barrel racing......

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by kriten908, May 23, 2011.

1. kriten908

kriten908 Full Member

I went to a gymkhana yesterday because some of my friends were riding in it along with my old riding instructor. Over the past year the people at this farm pretty much threw their english saddles away for barrel racing saddles, not a choice i would have made but hey different people like different things. But what i saw made me want to cry. Here I saw this wonderful pleasure mare my friend used to own and ride before she went to college, R-U-I-N-E-D. She was so scared, she had this big fat woman i know riding her (this woman doesnt know how to ride) they had what seemed like barbed wire in her mouth chains under her chin and raw hide over her nose which was making a really bad rub mark, and this woman would jerk her around and kick and smack, CONSTANTLY. The mare bolted into the ring she was so scared:mad:, and this awful woman thought it was FUNNY. And my a friend of mine told my ex riding instructor she didnt want to use the bridle she had given her, because it was cutting open her horses face, the ex riding instructors reply was "why do you think it works so well?!" I was horrified to see this beautiful pleasure and dressage horse who they would ride over a 2'6 jump course she could do dressage and hunters, ruined by these awful people. They claim she has a hard mouth, they used to use a snaffle on her, and back when that god awful woman was riding her english they tried using martingales and flashes and tiedowns. I saw some pretty horrific bits, ones with barbed wire over the horses nose, tie downs so tight the horse could barely see where it was going. I hated it, i wanted to tell those people to go to **** and leave their horses. They used spurs and querts constantly and their horses were already running their hearts out. When it was over i saw a lot of cut up sides and butts and sore mouths and really stiff horses, I wanted to cry.

BigDreamsRanch likes this.
  2. Chester

Chester Senior Member

What is it with the sudden anti barrel racing threads. We seem to be running at one a day.

8 people like this.
  3. kriten908

kriten908 Full Member

Its because its getting worse all the time Chester.

4. lblagden

lblagden Senior Member+

That's a problem with those people, not the sport. Not all barrel racers abuse their horses, and I've most definitely seen horses in virtually all other disciplines abused, so it's not just in barrel racing. There are idiots in every discipline.

5. Owned_by_Ivan

Owned_by_Ivan Senior Member+

I think your disgusted with the people you knew at the barrel race, than the sport itself.

6. Owned_by_Ivan

Owned_by_Ivan Senior Member+

Every sport has stupid people that....
    4 beat in western pleasure
    use scoring with their gaited horse
    block tails in QH's
    Ride with their hands in the air cranking their horses mouths
    Use rolkuer in dressage

It doesn't mean these sports are disgusting, look at the positives like the people that correctly train their horses to get to the top.

11 people like this.
  7. kriten908

kriten908 Full Member

I know there are bad trainers in all disciplines, I am just so mad to see what is happening to these horses i used to ride dressage and hunters plain out RUINED.

8. Ambrose

Ambrose Senior Member+

It's always sad when a career switch doesn't go well for the horse.

But that is not the fault of barrel racing in general. You met some stupid people who happen to barrel race, rather than encountering a sport that's full of stupid people. There's a difference. ;)

How would you like it if someone posted here and said, "I went to a barn where I used to ride Western, and I saw one of the horses being PULLED ON with a TIGHT REIN by all these English hunters and dressage people who didn't know how to ride! It's getting worse and worse with them - those people ruined by good Western horse and they're constantly in their mouths, yanking, with tight nosebands, and pushing and pushing and pushing them. Ripping on their faces with really harsh bits! I'm so disgusted with English."

I don't think you'd like that at all. It's not a true representation of your sport, correct?

So you aren't going to make a lot of friends with the good people on HGS who happen to barrel race - and do it RIGHT - with that kind of attitude. You had a bad experience, but not with a sport - you had a bad experience with some stupid people who shouldn't be around horses. Don't let that turn you away from an exciting and fun horse sport...or cause you to upset people and get yelled at by them.

Perhaps, with that said, it would be possible to edit the title of your post so that it's not so negative towards barrel racing in general. ;)

9. spinandslide

spinandslide Senior Member+

you know, when I was younger, I took my TB gelding, who had been an accomplished Eq horse, PRix St George Dressage horse and training level eventer and turned him into a barrel horse..he wasnt ruined..in fact, we went to the extremly competitive state 4-h show one year in Pole Bending AND dressage. We won our dressage class and wouldve placed in the top 6 in poles..if the timer hadnt malfunctioned so many times..:(

there are bad riders in ALL disaplines...and good riders too.

2 people like this.
  10. xSecertsx

xSecertsx Senior Member

You do realize every dicipline has bad riders, right?
    Mainly it's the dumb little gymkhanas where you find **** like that, people that think barrel racing is all about fast horses and going around 3 barrels.
    Don't be so quick to judge after only seeing 1% of a sport where it sounds like no one had a clue to what they were doing, there's many many good barrel riders out there.

Just yesterday me and my friend showed our "crazy" barrel horses in pleasure classes (her western, me english) they did well, if there had been an english judge my mare would have placed alot higher, she stays in frame, does transitions on cue, and actually looks english. but the judge liked the 4 beater western horses. Also she won jumping at fair last year, she's also a 2nd divison barrel horse (at NBHA shows) and pretty good pole horse