Slowing horse down on lead

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by SillyPony, Sep 15, 2018 at 9:39 AM.

?

what to do

1. get a trainer

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. put a chain on him

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. learn to enjoy speed walking

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. other

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. SillyPony

SillyPony Full Member

My 16-18 year old gelding is the sweetest boy ever and really tries hard to please. But he is a die hard power walker and its driving me nuts. I haven't ridden for two years and haven't ridden him for 3 ish. I really enjoy taking them for trail walks but he needs to SLOW DOWN! I usually deal with it by circling him which works for awhile but also makes him mad. I do speed walk with him but that leave my mare in the dust and then he gets anxious cause he's all alone. I freely admit that I am not a good trainer and my horse handling skills are average at best. I could use some suggestions.

2. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

I used the Clinton Anderson training haulter. It’s a nylon rope type haulter with 4 knots across the bridge of the nose. When you are walking and the horse is not doing what he is suppose to be doing you give a quick pop of the lead rope which causes the haulter to hit the bridge of his nose and gets his attention back to you. At that time you want to tell him to slow down or walk with me. Whatever has worked for you on commands in the past. For my horse I would pop it and tell him “no you know you walk with me not ahead” you keep applying this pressure till he learns what it is you want of him. When you pop it you can always stop walking and wait for him to stand. When he calms start moving again, if he again goes at a faster pace then you want him to do do the process over again. He will catch on. You can also buy a similar haulter from TSC for a bit cheaper and it’s just as effective. Also sounds like you need to work on his ground manners a bit more before going out on walks. Seems he may be anxious.

3. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

B82BCAEE-5B7F-4775-A45E-CA48E9E87F86.png 90BC3557-DAFB-4C6B-9FAA-A268865F8B9C.png Here are some cheaper ones listed on eBay

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

First, horses that are not relaxed at the walk may have saddle fit issues.
    may have a rider who unintentionally is tense and causing it,
    may have teeth pain,
    may have poll issues or back issues.

So, check those things first before fiddling with bits or gadgets.

waresbear, LoveTrail and Misty H like this.
  5. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

I've had good luck backing them off when they start cruising ahead in hand.
    I teach them to back when I 180* turn and walk straight at them (they need to understand this before you try and correct them this way) and if I have to I'll walk right into them to get the point across lol same as anything, start asking for one step at a time and build on that.

Then when they start cruising I can just turn around and back them out of whatever bubble I want to set.
    Doing this I can safely lead even the spazziest of horses on a loose lead.

Ime circling just amps them up in this situation.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Oh, now see, I totally took the post to mean: “as the lead horse out riding“? Now I'm confused...., :confused:

more than usual~!! :p

7. CJ

CJ Senior Member

My warmblood would get forward sometimes, in hand, and I would check him politely, say "easy" or "Whoa", and then just plant and let him hit the end, and get Stopped or Wheeled around, kind of "Whoa means Whoa!" Its a respect and control thing. When they outweigh you @ 10-1, theres not safety room for them to set the direction or pace. :no:

8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Except for the saddle fit, the other issues still can come into play.

manesntails likes this.
  9. Binca

Binca Senior Member

I dont like circling horses when they walk too fast. I've seen so many horses taught to do that and they just end up wanting to barge into your personal space - especially if you aren't 100%confident in what you are doing. The other issue with circling is the more you do it, the more some horses will just get used to it and do more circling. And some horses just get more and more worked up over it and may even (and especially if you aren't confident) just predict that they are going too fast, and circle/barge into you without being asked. I've seen this happen a lot with less experienced or confident people and when I was a stable hand, those horses were often the biggest pain to lead.

Personally I lead in a rope halter, or at least a nylon one. Nothing with padding because that dulls any signals and horses can and will barge through them easier. I would suggest you get a trainer who can watch you lead your horse and give you some advice - it may simply be if you adjust what you are doing your horse will calm down. Or could you at least get a film of you leading him and put it up here? I often find tension in the lead rope is the biggest cause of horses playing up in hand.

Also what does your horse get fed? How often do you do these walks?

10. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Back him up. If not an immediate response, take the lead rope and smack him in the chest with it. Stand there and let him think. Slowly walk off. Repeat.

GotaDunQH and mooselady like this.