Slowing Down a Faster Eater: Big Rocks or a Chain?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RebeccaMI, Jun 21, 2018.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Is the easy keeper also metabolic? Since my horse was diagnosed with insulin resistance and have been reading up on it and one the symptoms is that they don't know when to stop eating. Pretty common for an easy keeper to be metabolic.

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

He's not going to put on weight if she's eating his food.

I live in a place that doesn't have a lot of options for boarding so I get that aspect of things. Still, being able to get feed into my horses in a healthy way has to be high on my list of priorities. Good luck with it. I honestly don't think putting obstacles in her bucket is going to solve the real issue, which is that they're being fed together and she's just going to eat his bucket.

3. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Try the rocks. If that doesn't work hire someone.

4. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Plain and simple. The set up you have isn’t working.

Putting rocks in won’t slow her down significantly enough to stop her from getting to him. Won’t happen.

I’ve fed 6 horses grain in a field at once many years ago. I would give them all their buckets in a large approx. 20 metre circle, then I’d sit in the middle on a bucket and wait for them all to eat. The ones who got less grain or ate faster and finished first either got chased away or if they were willing to stand calmly, were allowed to stay in the circle. But they could not chase down anyone else for their food. I did this for years with an ever changing herd.

If you aren’t willing to separate them for feeding, tying up (them all, leaving only one horse tied in a herd is so dangerous) or supervising is the only way to ensure the horse that needs his grain, GETS it.

If you aren’t willing or can’t get to the barn twice a day to ensure he eats all of his feed, hire someone who can. It’s your responsibility as a horse owner. I have a hard keeper old girl too. She gets all of her feed on her own. And she had separation anxiety too. She got over it.

Something in the mares feed bin won’t slow her down to the point that she won’t finish first and chase the gelding off.

5. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Put feed bags on them.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

How about a feed tub that is designed to slow down the fast eater? These seem to work very well.

foxtrot likes this.
  7. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

RebeccaMI likes this.
  8. Mayelix

Mayelix Senior Member

What kind of feed do they get?

If they are currently getting the same feed just different amounts, another possibility in addition to a rock or chain or special feedpan would be to switch the hard keeper to a calorie-dense grain and the easy keeper to a lower calorie grain. This way to maintain the same caloric intake they currently are on the hard keeper will need less feed and the easier keeper more feed than they are currently getting, evening it out a little...

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. RebeccaMI

RebeccaMI Senior Member

We ended up putting a breakaway halter on her and she can be clipped to a trailer tie with a panic snap when she comes into the shed to eat. She's patient enough that when she's done eating she stands there and looks out the window while he finishes eating. When the person is done doing feeding chores she gets unclipped. So far, so good!

Dona Worry and Faster Horses like this.
  10. RebeccaMI

RebeccaMI Senior Member

She gets Tribute Kalm N EZ (8% fat, IIRC) and he gets Tribute Kalm Ultra (12% fat). She gets 2lbs per feeding and he gets 4, plus he's a slower eater.