Slowest. Growing. Hoof Wall. Ever.

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Mcdreamer, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

For as long as I’ve known him, the dude doesn’t grow hoof. Or mane and tail for that matter. I’ve tried every biotin supplement out there and nothing has helped. Maybe I’m impatient. From what I understand, he’s been in shoes for over four years (he’s 5/6 years old). I pulled his shoes about 5 months ago and I have noticed some improvement but I want more!!
    Has anyone used smartpak hoof circulate? That’s the only one I haven’t tried yet. Any suggestions? Photo of club foot for reference. Keep in mind it’s winter, we haven’t touched his feet except with a rasp since August to clean him up.
    5DEE752E-24D5-4C5B-9664-636244B1FAF9.jpeg

2. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

You’ve try quite a few biotin supplements in a 5 month span since you pulled his shoes? Is that correct? Perhaps you are giving anything a long enough chance? Unless I misread.

secuono and Mcdreamer like this.
  3. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Sorry. Should clarify. I’ve tried quite a few in the three years I’ve had him.

4. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

When feeding Biotin it's best to feed methionine with it, it helps the horse utilize the biotin

Alsosusieq2 and Mcdreamer like this.
  5. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Try California trace minerals plus.

Mcdreamer and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

I am now feeding nutrimix plus. It has 100mg of biotin in it plus 10x the vitamin and mineral concentration as platinum performance. There are horses at my barn that have had weak and brittle hoof walls and it has changed dramatically with this supplement. I had never heard of it before. It is not marketed as a hoof supplement, it is a complete supplement. As for smartpak in general, I don’t understand how they think to dose horses. Sure, 1 teaspoon of pellets once a day is sure to change anything about a 1,000 pound animal. Makes no sense to me. Here is a side by side comparison of platinum performance and nutrimix plus.
    2FE33CA9-B3BD-4779-8308-86910D8DFEB9.jpeg 1EEB321E-F36E-4412-9878-D8A801304ADE.jpeg
    E1391AF7-C5B5-481D-A874-463941E1CA8C.png

Mcdreamer likes this.
  7. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Just so you know, and be wary of, many ingredients are measured in ppm (parts per million) which is not much. Here is california trace plus ingredients, measured in mgs. https://californiatrace.com/about/california-trace-plus/
    I will say my horses and their feet look awesome on this supplement, and my mare had no lymphatic issues this summer which I attribute to using this ca trace plus .
    I would not bother using Smart paks.

Mcdreamer likes this.
  8. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Thanks, all. I'm usually pretty wary of supplements in general. I try to do as much research as I can on what actually works and what is just marketing.
    I should say his diet is 6 flakes grass hay a day (3 flakes usually stuffs his slow feed net and it weighs about 7 or 8 pounds) and his "grain" is 1# alfalfa pellets with 3oz of RB mixed in 2x a day. He's about an 800 pound horse. He also has free choice salt and free choice mineral block.

FootWise™

This supplement he was on for the longest and it did make his coat beautiful I must say...He was still being shod at the time so I might try it again now that he's naked.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Paint the coronary bands with Reducine.
    Clip his coronary band, buy a can of reducine and a soft toothbrush. Apply it along the coronary band daily. Just put it on, don't scrub it in.

It will stimulate bloodflow to the hoof and it will grow. This is what we do on the track with horses who have slow growing hooves. It never fails to work.

Mcdreamer likes this.
  10. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

What's he on now? If you have given the biotin a proper run, my next additive would likely be essential amino acids depending on what he's getting now. With that said, even on a balanced diet some horses just grow slow, especially barefoot when they are self wearing (not a bad thing obviously!).

Mcdreamer likes this.