Slow Training and Boredom Busters

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by BeyondtheTracks, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

1 doesn't "play games" with a 1000 pound horse.

Anytime you handle a horse, you should be insisting on proper behavior and respect.

I also don't buy the whole "bonding" with your horse.... You have mutual respect.

If a horse consistently dumped me, I would first have saddle fit checked, chiro and pain. If that all checked out fine, horse would be down the road. Life is too short and there are too many nice horses out there.

Many years ago I bred and raised one. Started him under saddle (by far not the first I trained) and he bolted without warning and for NO reason 3 times. He was sold

2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Your original post says nothing about "ground work games" and it does lead the reader to suspect you are looking for ground work.

None the less, I stand by my original post. You don't need games & you wouldn't be here asking this if you were working with true professionals.

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You are not going to get a “bond“ ( you need to get that out of your head) by ground games.

Anyone can ride a horse that is not more challenging to ride than the level of horsemanship they have, FIRST TIME on the horse's back.

Horses know who knows and who doesn't. Your horse has no trust in you, not because you need a better bond, butbecause you are not the horse trainer the horse NEEDS, at this time.

You cannot teach what you are not experienced with. The horse senses you haven't the knowledge, horsemanship, or riding ability he needs.

Stop riding this horse. It will not get better. You are only reinforcing mistrust and causing the horse to BE afraid.

4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

If your horse gets bored when you´re working her, whether it is groundwork or riding - you´re doing it wrong.
    I doubt you have her respect if she´s bored. She basically ignores you.
    If you have trainers on hand ask them for help. They can do more than people online ever could.

Has she been checked for pain issues? Saddle and bridle fit? Have her teeth been floated recently?
    Have you had your trainers ride her? I would let someone more experienced train her once you´ve made sure the problems are behavioural and not pain-related. Because all you´ve taught her so far that bolting gets her out of work...

5. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

A horse consistently looking for an excuse to bolt is dangerous and not the right horse for you to learn to break, I hate to say.

And I don't use the word "game" when I talk about ground work. That makes it seem like you're look for NH stuff, which gets kind of weird sometimes, depending on which method you're following.

Anyway, what does your horse already know as far as ground work? How well does she lead? Does she stop when you stop? Does she back up without pressure from the lead? Will she trot in hand next to you? Does she move her front and hind end away? Will she sidepass in-hand? Do you have access to trail obstacles (like a bridge, ground poles, etc)?

Circle C and foxtrot like this.
  6. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

Oh no...

If you try to train a horse through emotion you're going to have a bad time
    [​IMG]

7. BeyondtheTracks

BeyondtheTracks Full Member

She leads great, stops, backs up without pressure on the lead. She won't trot in hand but I'm working on that, she'll move her hind and front away but could use more practice. She's still getting side passing down, and I might have some poles.

I screwed up with her, I didn't sack her out properly and I would do my best not to scare her because I knew she was skiddish when I got her; the trainer I interned under for 3 years did that. When I got the two other professionals involved, they pointed out my error and we've been fixing it since. Every step I take around my horse, I demand respect. She's not allowed to cut in, turn her butt towards me, nip, shove or anything. I'm sorry the wording of "game" made it seem like that. I'm not giving up on her because she bolts, I'm fixing my mistakes with the help of professionals and teachers. Yes, I could ask them for more suggestions, but they have other students and clients. It just was muddy the other day and I thought this forum would have good suggestions so I wouldn't have to bug my teachers when I was looking for a boredom buster for my horse.
    If I end up having to have one of my professionals completely take over her training because I'm that big of a failure, I'll do that. But I'd rather attempt to correct my original errors and not flunk out of college first.

8. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

...are you in an equestrian program in college?

Friesiangirl likes this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You mean to tell me that they give you a horse with30 days on it and you're supposed to continue the training and the horse wasn't sacked out before you got it?

0r, did someone do the original handling so it lead and tied, then YOU did the saddle training and didn't sack it out properly and nobody was right there to observe and correct you?

Either way, you can't learn how to break horses through verbal or written instruction. You have to be capable of correctly reading the horse and amend your approach according to the horse's responses. You can't learn that without observation of it in real time.

Not acting like the horse is broke and “trying not to scare it“ by tip toeing around it causes a horse to continue to be spooky and flighty. It has nobody to follow but you and if you act cautious TOWARDS the horse, the horse doesn't understand that, they believe you are cautious because something around you both is causing you to be cautious. They are prey animals, not predators, so they cannot fathom you thinking THEY are the cause of your caution; they don't eat preople. You excite their flight or fight response when you do that.

Stop that.

Nobody should be breaking horses without the experienced horseman showing them, with different types of horses, horses who have different flight responses, how to do it. You should be an observer and helper with at least a few horses and understand completely principles and application there of, before you are turned loose to handle a horse on your own.

The horse is now the sacrificial lamb of this backasswards program you signed up for. Horsemen do not treat horses like this: turn people loose with a horse and then tell them to let them know if they have a problem.

10. Oaks

Oaks Full Member

Which program are you in? I'm involved in a few collegiate equestrian programs in Michigan....pm me and I might be able to point you towards some reputable professionals...