Slow Training and Boredom Busters

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by BeyondtheTracks, Oct 12, 2017.

1. BeyondtheTracks

BeyondtheTracks Full Member

Hey-
    Living in Michigan without a round pen or arena has recently forced me to try and find some new "games" and training methods with my horse. I'm trying to break her, but with the rain I had the other day, I don't want to trot her in our usual spot for the next couple days to make sure it's not slick.

What are great games and things to do that don't involve an arena or trotting?

I think I'll begin saddling and leading her daily at least. She's broke to the saddle, I've just hit the dirt every time I've been on her basically =)

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If the horse keeps throwing you, send it to a trainer. You are making the horse form a habit of bucking you off. Not good, unless you only want her for food.

3. BeyondtheTracks

I'm training her for college. She isn't bucking, she bolts. I was using improper training techniques before we bonded, so now I'm trying to build a better bond and foundation with her- baby steps until we try again =)

4. savethewhaley

savethewhaley Senior Member

Sorry, a bond with your young, untrained horse will not keep her from throwing you. Horses make 'bonds' with people who they have known for a long time and fully trust. A horse that is bucking/bolting and trying to unseat you does not trust you or what you are doing to it.
    It sounds as if you are expected too much of her too early. Horses need to be broke to many things other than just a saddle before I would have anyone think about getting on them.
    I very very strongly suggest you get a professional involved.

5. BeyondtheTracks

She's not super young, she's actually 6 (still young, but not young young, you know?), and she was broken at a 30 day trainer before I got her, but the chick pushed her and ruined her in the long run. I know we're not going to be bonded like an old married couple, but I don't just want to go out with her, work her, and leave. I've owned her for a year and she's not trying to throw me- she gets terrified. The last time I fell was when something hit the railing suddenly and she bolted away. She's honestly only ever tried getting me off once when I was mounting up one day, but she hasn't done that since. That's why I'm taking my time and trying to build a good foundation.
    My first 3 months with her I honestly screwed up. I tried riding her once, did it completely wrong, then didn't try again for a very long time- now I'm trying to correct my mistakes. I have the help of teachers and other professionals/experienced individuals who are helping me work out the riding side. I'm just looking for game suggestions to keep her from getting bored that we can do on days where we really can't do much else.

6. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Correct riding is going to serve you well.

Straight up, if you riding correctly, not even a walk should be boring for either one of you.

So with that said......if you really were working with good professionals.......you wouldn't be here asking this question......

7. BeyondtheTracks

I'm not asking for riding stuff, I'm asking for games to play on the ground over the wet season so my mare doesn't get bored.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

Sorry, but, get some professional help. Seriously. You need someone more knowledgeable than you, supervising you. You need a lot of instruction and supervision. Otherwise you are going to wind up a sand pizza.

ginster likes this.
  9. BeyondtheTracks

As I stated, I do have 2 teachers and 2 professionals helping me. I'm just looking for games to play on the ground to keep my mare from getting bored.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

Then have the trainers tell you what ground work to do. If you have two trainers and two pros helping you, THEY should be giving you homework to do with the horse.

She doesn't need to play games on the ground. She needs to be rideable without dumping people off or she's going to wind up in a can of Biljac. Focus on that. That problem needs to be addressed. That's my suggestion.

ginster likes this.