slow feeders and metal grates

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by mymarespet, Nov 20, 2015.

1. KathyEAP

KathyEAP Registered

Curious if anyone knows where to buy the metal grates? Thanks!

2. all4him

all4him Senior Member

I just started taking care of horses at another barn and she JUST set up the grate in the hay box and it is a powder coated grate so no worries even when it was 9 degrees Monday morning. :)

3. KathyEAP

KathyEAP Registered

Where did you buy the grates?

4. all4him

all4him Senior Member

I didn't buy them - the owner did but I could ask her. It is about 2'x3' or so.

5. KathyEAP

KathyEAP Registered

I would appreciate it! I've been looking everywhere!

6. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Ask and you shall receive! :D This is near me so she picked it up but I'm sure they ship.

Gridwall Panels

7. Sistersarah

Sistersarah Registered

Lots of thoughts and experiments on slow feeders. We started with the metal grates (grid wall panels) in a homemade sturdy wooden box, but found the horses eventually learned how to eat out of them almost as fast as free feeding. BTW, I measured my grid wall grids and mine are 3" not 2". I was not able to find any less than 3" so if anyone out there has please let me know, I'd like to try them. Next, I tried many different types of nets, starting with the 2" holes. Didn't faze my clever Mustang/Arab! So, I decided that they needed to be hung so that they would swing and therefore slow down the eating. I even hung them on stretchy trailer ties so that it was not only challenging but fun :) Worked for awhile but not a solution for all day eating. Next I tried the nets with the 1" holes....still no slowing the crafty M/A. He just learned that if he shook the bag the hay would drop out and he could eat it off the stall mats. Didn't mind that too much as he was at least eating in a more natural position once the hay dropped, but still too fast and on top of that, even with good quality hay the shaking creates dust and I don't want the horses inhaling that while they eat. Another crafty way they discovered for getting more hay faster was to chew a hole in the bag and create a larger opening from which to get more....grr. So, many hay nets later I've finally ended up with the Busy Snacker XL Ultra Slow Feed Bag with 1.5" holes. Its super durable nylon mesh, like the Nibble nets. Its not perfect, but I can hang it or tie it into a feed box and they haven't destroyed the two that I bought last year yet! I would say it slows them down a little, but I have yet to find a feeder that can really make them take only a few strands at a time to eat and stretch their feed out through the day. I think my horses would destroy the Porta Grazers if they rolled into a corner where they could stomp them up. Maybe they are strong enough...don't know. I'm always open to new ideas so glad I found this forum to share ideas! :)

8. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member

I am so glad you posted in this thread rather than starting a new thread. It is so convenient to have all the ideas in one place.
    You sure have clever horses, what a challenge. I am going to check out the 'snacker' .
    I have nibble nets, I really like them, the net part is still going strong but on one of them the back part tore. I cut that off and sewed in a piece of heavy tarp like material.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

I'd be scared to put that in with my horses, especially the grates, but also the plywood box. Not sturdy enough.

10. Sistersarah

Sistersarah Registered

slow feeder idea with nylon webbing as grate.jpg
    Good for you for actually making repairs to your feed net. I've never been that patient!! To correct my earlier post a bit I think the feeder bag is called the Busy Horse Grande extra slow feed net. In either case you can find it at www.busyhorse.com. Their net has webbing on both sides, not sure if the Nibble Net does. It is super durable and large enough to hold up to four large flakes.
    Attached a picture of a feeder made with this type of webbing from Pinterest. I'm very curious to know wether this worked or not. In the end It looked like they modified the "grid" to make the holes bigger so I'm wondering if the 1.5" grid that comes with the Busy Horse net would be too small for them to get the hay out adequately. Just thinking out loud here...forgive me if I ramble! :) Always looking for solutions to the slow feeding dilemma!! Glad to hear more ideas anytime.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    mymarespet likes this.