slow feeders and metal grates

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by mymarespet, Nov 20, 2015.

1. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member

oh my goodness! This is so similar to what I do with my nibblenets!! :)
    I really agree that some horses worry about not having hay and then bolt their feed.. I hadn't thought it through like you did tho. One of my mares is like that. I just didn't put it together, :((
    I think I will stick with the nets and just work on a way to fasten them easier. When it is warm the snaps work fine.
    By the time I do chores, which doesn't really take long, working with snaps in -20 or more temps for weeks on end, the snaps are hard on my old fingers. ;)

2. aqhaktberry3

aqhaktberry3 Senior Member

You guys should all check these out! Met them equine affaire and it truly does make sense. When you think about it, slow feed hay nets are very unnatural to the way horses eat naturally (cluster of grass with a rip from the ground using their teeth/ jaw) They do not naturally eat one little blade at a time like they do with the slow feed nets. I too used to use the nets but once I realized how unnatural they are-- have moved on to these. Check them out and watch the videos. They are amazing! Porta-Grazerâ„¢, Natural Grazing Slow Feeder

3. lhoward

lhoward Senior Member

Huh ? My horse certainly does not eat "one blade at a time" with a net, not even with the slowest holes. The whole point IS to slow them down, though. She always gets "tufts" of hay and pulls them out. Very natural. The Porta Grazer is a good idea, but to me, its not even kind of slow. With those large openings its very easy to make something similar yourself. Something that will hold far more hay, as well. I think they aren't bad, but for that price, its very easy to make something better/cheaper. I really have no idea how they can possibly think the nets are less natural though ??? However, to each their own :) I forgot to add the last 2 pics to my other post..here they are :)

ha1.jpg

ha2.jpg

4. mygirl1197

mygirl1197 Senior Member

I have Port-a-grazers, and they slow my horses down a little bit, but not even close to as much as I had hoped.
    The premise behind the Port-a-Grazer is to keep it full all the time, and eventually the horse will slow down on their own when they realize the hay will always be available.

My daughter's gelding is very good at getting huge mouthfuls of hay out of his Port-a-Grazer.

5. aqhaktberry3

aqhaktberry3 Senior Member

I could see that, I wonder if getting the insert w smaller holes would help any?

6. redhorseridge

redhorseridge Senior Member

Mostly the front teeth.

mymarespet likes this.
  7. redhorseridge

redhorseridge Senior Member

I have the smallest holes they make (the one made for pellets). When we stuff the feeders completely full, the horses still have hay when we go to refill. However, we usually feed by weight (15# per horse per day in normal weather), and they have it gone after about 6 hours.

8. Apps4Life

Apps4Life Senior Member

A little late to the party, but I'll share. I used Biothane to weave the lid, but if I had to do it over again I'd cut one of my slow nets (each square is individually knotted so it won't unravel) and u-nail it to the lid. There's about 6-8" when a bale is put in to the top of the box, so they can't pull the lid out. I've also used it without the lid with and without a hay net. Was great for my foal this year without the lid, easy enough for him to get access and deep enough that momma couldn't fling hay on the ground to get to the good stuff.
    [​IMG]

mygirl1197 and lhoward like this.
  9. EmbodiedSpirit

EmbodiedSpirit Full Member

@lhoward Those are a great idea!! We'd need to put holes in the bottom of ours for rain to drain away, but I have to show mum these. Could be just the solution for our lot as they don't like to share so a big communal feeder is out; besides which the areas they stand at a feeder get so boggy it would be ideal for moving them about and keeping them out of the mud. Love it!

lhoward likes this.
  10. EmbodiedSpirit

EmbodiedSpirit Full Member

Porta-grazer's have some real thought behind them and they look good for mentally stimulating the horse at the same time. It's certainly a good premise. But I have two horses who I'm pretty sure would sooner kill them to bypass the slow feeder thing, and while I didn't check the price (no point, in the UK, the shipping for one alone would likely cost a fortune) I wouldn't be willing to test their durability against it. I'm also pretty sure they'd figure a way to take big mouthfuls too, as a couple others said.