Sleeping in trailer

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by draftmare, Jan 4, 2019.

1. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

This year I am planning to do a couple of overnight shows. To keep costs down my plan is to sleep in the horse area of my trailer. I will sweep it out and plan to put down either a tarp or a mat of some kind. I was hoping to get a tent cot, but after measuring the inside of my trailer it won't fit, boo. So now I am looking at using just a cot with sleeping bag. My biggest concern is bugs, particularly mosquitoes. For those who have done something similar before, how did you keep yourself from getting eaten alive? I will have access to electricity and plan to run a fan for increased airflow, but I am not sure if that will be enough to keep bugs off of me too.

2. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

Perhaps a hammock as a backup idea, but I think a mosquito net is what could benefit you most!

3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

2nd the mosquito netting. Nothing worse than bugs biting and buzzing while trying to sleep. Plus remember the safety factor. Keep large flashlight handy, and, as we did, a baseball bat. Park where people can hear you if necessary.

We never did this in a large city, but nowadays, crime is everywhere. We had to leave the back doors open many times because of the heat. Put netting over the opening. Bought them at an army surplus store.

secuono likes this.
  4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I have a lot of friends that sleep in the tack or horse portion of their trailers and many more that sleep in a tent. I think that as long as the weather is not extremely wet and windy the tent is a much better plan than the horse area. Most tents have screens to keep bugs out and there are some comfortable airbeds, portable closets, portable tent heater, put a rug on the floor, folding chair and hang a battery lantern and you can make a tent really nice place.

I’ve had a LQ with full kitchen and bath for the last 15 years and absolutely love it. I did the math a found that it was less expensive to buy the LQ than to stay in hotels at eat out if I stayed in the LQ at least 115 nights a year…. Which is only 3-4 shows a year….and its so easy. I store the show tack and cloths in it year around, all I have to do is load the horse and the fridge….although cleaning the poop shoot isn’t my favorite thing…its nice to not have to wander out to the show bathroom or port pot in the middle of the night.

We have a group that we camp with and those of us with LQ's park on the parameter of then and we put the tents Inside so they are protected a but from the weather, traffic or people who don't belong.

5. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member

I have done both and infinitely preferred the tent. I actually had a canopy and a pop up with an air mattress. I did put down a towel in the horse area of the trailer (no tack room) for changing clothes. I also had a little camping table and stove. I had the whole thing down to an art, and other than not being able to shower, I actually preferred being on grounds.

mooselady and Friesiangirl like this.
  6. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

Your shows are 29 nights long?

7. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

I have a really nice tent (REI Kingdom) that has two rooms (a screen room and an enclosed room) and high ceiling. Really nice to sleep in and I have a Rinsekit with a heater for a hot shower.

8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

115 was a Typo break even for me is to sleep in it at least 15 nights per year for it Break even with staying in hotels. My National shows are 2 weeks, Regional Champ are 1 week, and our regular shows are 3 days.... so most years I’m closer to using it 35 + nights....so for me it definately more cost effective than a hotel and I like being in the grounds.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. palimino57

palimino57 Senior Member

About half the people at most of our smaller shows here camp in their horse areas. Most have trailers that close up pretty well, and most just use an army cot or the like. Some have pull down beds installed in the sides of their trailers on the newer versions. For his trash I'd get some of those stick on hooks for the roof and make a big drape almost tent over your cot to sleep if trailer can still get invaded by bugs easily :)

10. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

We dropped a tarp over the outside of the trailer in cold weather and a bug net in warm weather. We camped in a 4 "cow" stock trailer for several years and it worked pretty good. I have 2 little DC fans to keep the air moving, even under the tarp, and still use them in the LQ since I get hot pretty easy but just need some moving air to stay comfortable. The fans are not very expensive and I've had mine for about 13 years now! Depending on how wide your trailer is a twin air mattress is pretty comfortable. We put a tarp down after sweeping out the trailer, put the air mattress on that and, viola!
    A five gallon bucket with a toilet seat will help prevent those middle of the night trips to the potty, we used the same chemical in the bucket designed for RV toilets. A little water and one pellet, keep the lid down when not in use and it was not even noticeable.

Cynical25 and palimino57 like this.