Skull cleaning

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NaeNae, Aug 12, 2018.

1. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

On the hobbies thread a few weeks back, @emali06 gave me some tips on cleaning skulls. I have a horse skull I’ve ben wanting to clean up so I started it after chatting with her.

It’s been sitting in water and dawn for a couple of months, can’t remember how long, but I dumped it today and hosed and scrubbed it and set it to soak one more time.

Before and after pics.

Looks pretty good I think! Need to get an old toothbrush to clean the insides of the nasal cavity and inside the skull as the brush I had was too large to reach but I’m happy so far.

Email, thoughts?!

Attached Files:

magoo320mj and manesntails like this.
  2. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Could a bleach solution help? Or maybe too harsh? Curious, how did you come by the skull?

manesntails likes this.
  3. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

I was going to boil it in bleach originally as that’s what I’d heard but email gave me this way of doing it that she always uses.

And the skull was from a TB breeding farm that I used to work at. A guy had had a mare pass on his farm and left the body for coyotes to pick and years later I found the skull while checking on mares one day.

bobo and horses and manesntails like this.
  4. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

Soak it in a strong bleach solution. They can get a fungus on them that can move right over on to you if you're not careful. Been there, done that. Bleach will kill it and whiten the skull. Make it strong.

5. FunSizeFriday

FunSizeFriday Senior Member

I wrapped mine in white towels soaked in strong hydrogen peroxide. It worked great!

magoo320mj, manesntails and NaeNae like this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

That is so cool~!! You can tell it's an old horse by the teeth and she has all her teeth too~!!
    Where you gonna hang it?
    I would do a bleach solution as well. Hot water and 10% bleach is enough to kill whatever nasty thing might be harbored there.

bobo and horses and ginster like this.
  7. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

lol nope it was a 6 year old mare.

And I think I may do one round of bleach after it sits a bit longer for this second dawn round. Because I'm definitely not confident in getting all of the innards of the skull scrubbed out so would like to really kill everything.

Plan is to just display it in my house when it's not on the road with me. Along with the antler sheds and animal hides hahaha. But I bring it along with me to clients to show them how their horses jaw moves, how the upper molars over hang the lowers and how that all causes the sharp points and hooks and ramps. It's a good teaching tool!

magoo320mj and manesntails like this.
  8. Fire Chik

Fire Chik Senior Member

We boil heads to clean them, the last elk we did was about 8ish hours boiling. Cleans it up really well

NaeNae and manesntails like this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I think I was fooled by the absence of gums~!! :rofl:

NaeNae likes this.
  10. magoo320mj

magoo320mj Senior Member

Definitely bleach to kill all the nasties. Peroxide works best for whitening. (The kind for hair, not wounds.) That’s what we used at the taxidermy studio I worked for. Skulls are so cool!

Zimalia likes this.