silver fox saddles

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by snowbuny350, May 22, 2011.

1. snowbuny350

snowbuny350 Senior Member

Can anyone tell me anything about them? I thinking about trading my western saddle for one. are they good or bad?

2. WilsonF

WilsonF Senior Member

They are cheaply made saddles. I woulnt do it.

3. snowbuny350

Darn! I was hoping I actually found a good one. Doesnt help that im pretty much completely oblivious to english saddles :/

4. snowbuny350

thanks though!

5. WilsonF

WilsonF Senior Member

NP. Around here you can find silver fox saddles at the farm and garden store for like $199.00.

Maybe some more english geared riders can give you some GOOD brands to look for and you can look for a nice used saddle.

6. Aponi06

Aponi06 Senior Member

Whats your price range?

7. snowbuny350

I wnat to trade my western, or english saddle but around $300 if i do find one I like.

8. Fork

Fork Senior Member

Collegiate, Crosby, Courbette, are all good, used leather brands. :) Wintec and Thorowgood are good, used synthetic brands. They all hold their resale value and fit really well.

Tree: If you're riding a quarter-horse, you're going to want to look for a saddle with a wide or medium wide tree. Semi-QH = Narrow Tree. QH = Medium Tree. Full-QH = Wide Tree. Someone may have to correct me on those equivalencies.

Seat: Whatever seat you take in Western, add 2" to get your equivalent of a western seat. This doesn't always work, but it's a good guide.
    14" Western = 16" English
    15" Western = 17" English
    16" Western = 18" English
    17" Western = 19" English

You can find all of these for around $300. You'll also need a girth, stirrup leathers and stirrups (since most English saddles don't come with any). If you're buying a new saddle for $300, it's probably going to fall apart or not fit.

9. snowbuny350

Well i figured id get a used one. the one i have now, i dont care for but im wondering if myabe i could make it work?
    the saddle its self sits too low on my geldings withers, and i dont want to ride him and make him sore! would a half pad correct this? or should i just go on my way finding a new saddle?

Oh and thank you for all the info! i assumed i rode in a 16-17"saddle I ride in a bob marshall treeless 14"

10. horsefeathers.0

horsefeathers.0 Senior Member

Yes, do not buy one of those cheap saddle packages. They're usually junk. Stick with a well known brand, and try it out first for you and your horse. What do you plan to use it for?