1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured Silver bay pony critique

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by Innisfreefarm, Jan 6, 2017.

1. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

I don't think his neck set is too low. It might be a touch lower than you would want normally, but I have seen much worse. Shoulder is upright, but the wither carries back decently considering shoulder angle, which might explain why he has the reach he does. Nice short, strong back. His hindquarters is a little short from point of hip to point of buttock, but not horribly so. Agree, tail set is pretty high, but I don't see that being too much of a problem. A little fine-boned, but not badly for his size.

His left knee doesn't look as flat as it should be. Does he have an old injury there?

2. Innisfreefarm

Innisfreefarm Senior Member

Not that I was informed of. Hasn't taken a bad step since I've had him.

3. VermilionStrife

Hm. Well if it doesn't bother him I don't see why it would be an issue. I love his color. :) Lol too bad he's pony sized! ;)

4. Innisfreefarm

He is a cute and sweet boy. I have been pleasantly surprised by how well he's doing. Has a natural change. I do think he has some Arab in him. He doesn't have the head but the hindend and tail set remind me of an Arab.

VermilionStrife likes this.
  5. VermilionStrife

What about Welsh/Arab? I could definitely see some Arab. He just looks like Welsh to me, but I have no experience with the breed. Lol

6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

What is he like with other horses? Have you been able to turn him out?

7. Innisfreefarm

Yes he was gelded back in October. He is out with two other horses (one pony and one larger TB). He is fine with them.

8. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

Oh I thought he looked like a Medium Pony Hunter like you'd see on the A circuit. So what type of showing is he for of not open?

manesntails likes this.
  9. Innisfreefarm

We do the USEF A rated shows. We always referred to "open" shows as local shows that offered huntseat, western and some gaited classes. Yes we see him as a medium pony hunter, but not at open shows....In a USEF rated division.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

I think the ''build'' (amount of bone) is just right for the type of shows they want to do.

The only "problem" the pony has is that he has so little muscling - especially on his back and hind quarter, and has a ''pot belly" - his belly is distended, in other words.

There are little things - for that type, a very short cannon bone is liked, with a ''low hock" and longer gaskin. A more sloped shoulder is preferred, but I'd have to see how he moves. Many horses with this conformation move very well.

I was going to say he looks ''very immature", because of the lack of fitness and muscle development. Not ''immature'' time wise, but as far as being developed by proper work and quality feed.

He is 7, just castrated and was in a bad situation. I think that the OP will take good care of him.

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.