Sidepull & bitless bridle questions

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Goonhorse, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Goonhorse

Goonhorse Senior Member

Maybe this should be obvious, but what really is the difference between using a sidepull and riding with a regular halter, other than the side pull looks a little more bridle-ish?

Also, a few people on here recommended starting young horses in a sidepull, and I'm kind of wondering about other bitless bridles as options, as well. Good thing or no? And I'd also love to hear your favorite brands for your various favorite bitless bridles, too! :)

Midwest Horse Lover likes this.
  2. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

My favorite sidepulls are ergonomically designed to stay stable on the face, to not twist or pull as the rider pulls a direct/opening rein, and to be simply direct/clear communication for the horse.

I like these ones:
    Lindell:
    [​IMG]

Another Lindell:
    [​IMG]

Diana Thompson Side Pull (on a Morgan :)
    [​IMG]

Diana Thompson Sidepull on an Arab
    [​IMG]

Diana Thompson Sidepull on a TB:
    [​IMG] (this one also comes with a cover that can be put over the noseband to make it softer)

Here is Moss Rock Endurance's version of it.....I have this one, but don't like the noseband material and feel (not as effective as the DT or Lindell)
    [​IMG]

3. Asfaloth

Asfaloth Senior Member

I think you meant to say what is the difference between a sidepull and a bitless bridle?

Pressure points. A side pull really only puts pressure on the sides of the face and maybe a bit at the top of the nose. A bitless like the Nurtural/Dr Cooks, cross under type also puts pressure on the pol and cheeks as well as the sides of the face and top of the nose. A hackamore/bosal puts pressure on the nose and pol and in the case of the mechanical hackamore also under the jaw.

4. Goonhorse

Goonhorse Senior Member

Actually, I did mean halter. Because to me a lot of side pulls look like they would work exactly the same as clipping reins to the side rings on a halter. But the ones that Fancy That posted do look like they are nicer than a halter in they're more secure. Not sure they're worth the price they want for them (seems like you could rig something up with a regular halter that would work just the same), unless there really is something different about side pull than a halter.

5. bnwalker2

bnwalker2 Senior Member

I started Halo in a halter, and have only had her in a bit a couple times... but I don't even know where the bit is honestly, I don't feel a need for it. She's perfect in just a halter. I did buy a couple different things to try though.

I have a halter like this with the rings for reins: http://www.jefferspet.com/side-pull-rope-halter/p/121-S4/, but I felt it was kind of cheaply made and I think the rings would break if a horse were to pull hard on it.

Then I bought one of these: http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/1070/P8166. I really like it and it's pretty well made. She responds well to it too.

6. Asfaloth

Asfaloth Senior Member

Ok I see. Must have read that wrong earlier. I agree with you that a sidepull and halter are very similar but with a halter I think the side rings have more of a tenancy to twist and dig the sides of the face without the reinforcement straps that a sidepull has to stabilize them. So a side pull is probably kinder to the horse.

7. Goonhorse

Goonhorse Senior Member

That's a good point. I don't know if they would or not, or whether my comatose three year old would even notice. :rofl:

8. Midwest Horse Lover

Midwest Horse Lover Registered

A friend turned me on to sidepulls for a horse that resisted every type of bit and hackamore I tried. The mare took to it and it solved a variety of behavioral problems. Every year her teeth were vet checked/floated and it was never her teeth causing the behavior. I won't ride the mare in anything other than a sidepull from now on.

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You have to acclimate a horse to carrying a bit. Let them learn they can eat with one in their mouth.

We trained 50 horses a year, myself for over 20 years and we had fifty more race horses. They all were taught to accept a bit by training them to give to it through flexions and by wearing it to eat hay. Not one ever refused.
    You have a badly trained horse. There is no issue riding in a bitless, or a sidepull....until there is.