Showing novice advice

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Medicine Hat Blue, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Medicine Hat Blue

Medicine Hat Blue Registered

Hello all, I am new to the forum and would appreciate some advice.

Im really interested in showing but have absolutely no clue where to start. I'm a complete novice when it comes to showing or competing but have plenty of experience and own horses otherwise. I cant seem to find any information on open classes near me or clear expectations and what to train for. Im mostly looking to dip my toes and gain some experience, hopefully in extreme trail classes or ranch pleasure. I own grade horses so open breed shows have been a hassle to find with decent info.

An advice on where to find such events, expectations on horse and rider ability, what environment to expect, how best to prep. Mostly I need help and guidance with getting started to begin with. Any and all advice about anything showing would be greatly appreciated.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I would look for a local Horse Facebook page, they should be able to point you in the right direction to find shows.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Medicine Hat Blue

Thank you for replying ! :) the only issue Ive had with those is they all seem to be outdated but I'll try updating my criteria search.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. FaeriesFaith

FaeriesFaith Senior Member

Extreme trail, are you talking extreme cowboy racing? If so, look for EXCA clubs in your area by joining the EXCA facebook pages. or going to the extreme cowboy racing associations website. A lot of the clubs host clinics and playdays and even some schooling shows to help new people learn the sport. After that its jump in! I raced exca for 2 years but did not compete this year, my competition horse was deemed unsound for performance work so I retired her and am waiting to see if my young horses have an aptitude for it.

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

What classes are you looking to try at? I know some have open classes, or the used to years ago.

6. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Senior Member+

Just search open horse shows near you... even if you find outdated information, maybe there is a number or page to look into.

I would just go and get a good look. Maybe bring your horse to see how he does with the show grounds. Any friends you could tag along with?

7. Medicine Hat Blue

Thankyou for answering to me. As of right now im not geared toward any event specifically outside of western, something like the EXCA really interests me and ive checked out the website because of your direction. Thankyou! I am definitely looking into it. Would you say its a good start for getting some show exposure without being overwhelming for horse and rider?

8. Medicine Hat Blue

Thank you for the suggestion! I definitely need to get my mounts exposed to other environments with more hub bub, they are sold and near spook proof but we meander around the same parts when working. Unfortunately no friends to tag along with but maybe ill find some there. fingers crossed :)

9. Medicine Hat Blue

Really im looking to do anything that would get some miles and experience under myself and my horses. I am really interested in trail classes or working ranch but like i said before my horses are grade and it seems to be exclusive to aqha. Even extreme cowboy races seem like a good option for myself and the heathens, trying to gain some confidence and exposure. Low key events that wont be to overwhelming.

10. FaeriesFaith

FaeriesFaith Senior Member

I had zero show experience when I started. I came from a toodle down the road on my.horse back ground. I found it helped me get out there and start something. Since then I've put my young horse in open shows in halter and in hand trail and I'll be showing open rail classes next season. Its showed me a window into the showing world.

EXCA horses are all breeds,all ages, all backgrounds. Riders and horses train in all disciplines and on all obstacles because you dont know what your course will be until the day of the show. Obstacles can be anything from running around on the rail like you stole your horse, to gathering your horse and side passing or backing up or going over,under,through things. We also do speed control,sometimes barrel patterns or pole bending, lead changes, roping,cow sorting, picking something up and carrying it, picking a person up and doubling with them, ground ties,etc.... they really touch on just about everything you can do.