1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Showing Horses

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Breezy2011, Apr 20, 2017 at 9:06 AM.

1. Breezy2011

Breezy2011 Full Member

I am wanting to get my 2 year old AQHA filly to shows once she is started under saddle next year. The only thing is, I don't show, nor do I want to show at this time (bad experience last time I did show). So I got to thinking, there are a lot of people who own horses, but have other people show them.

Anyone here do that? What is the process? What discipline do you show in? Who is responsible for trailering her to shows? Do you pay the person to show your horse, do they pay you, or do it for free? Who pays entry fees, who gets prize money/ribbon if horse and rider place? If sending horse to trainer and trainer shows the horse, how does that work?

Anyone familiar with doing this, please tell me anything you can! This is just something I am looking into for next year to get some show miles and experience on my young horse for one or two show seasons. I would attend every show with her, unless I sent her to a trainer to show, but don't have a trailer to get her to shows.

Pros and Cons of doing this?

2. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

I show horses (Dressage/Eventing) frequently for my former trainer a.k.a second mom. Since we live 2 hours apart, she rides whatever horse I'm going to show for her up until the day of. I'll go down and hop on the horse a day before to familiarize myself and then ride the day of the show.

She is responsible for the horse and trailer hookup, HOWEVER sometimes she is pretty busy with students who are also showing (or she's involved shows if they're in the area), so depending on when my ride times are either she'll bring the horse or I'll take her rig and go pick the horse up myself.

I don't get paid to show her horses (we're a friend situation where we're just constantly doing favors for each other), but she always pays the entry fee. I'll pay for my own lodging if I bring my fiancee, or sometimes I'll just pay for lodging period. I mean, I'm not only doing her the favor, she's giving me the experience (which is usually fun and stress free) at the same time.

Depending on the horse, I either get to keep the ribbons or I pass them along to her. Last time out it was her mare's first show, so I gave her the ribbons to keep.

The only con to this is the riding bit. Ideally, I would get on the horse a couple times a week, but since I live 2 hours away I can't, and she's so busy with a full time job while teaching on the side that sometimes she can't get on the horse as much as she likes and the horse isn't 100% where we want him/her. And she also likes to enter me in shows and then tell me about 2 days before (and SWEARS she told me before then... haha, no you didn't), but other than that it works out and I don't feel like I'm being taken advantage of.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Find you a trainer in the discipline you're interested in your horse being shown in, discuss those questions with him/her. It'll be you that pays the entry fees and it depends on the contract with the trainer who keeps what the horse wins.

I have a trainer showing my horse, but I also show, I pay the entry fees, but I keep the winnings, and I'll give him a part of it, he also gets paid to train.

GotaDunQH, Cynical25 and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. mustang_dodger

mustang_dodger Senior Member

find a trainer in your area that shows in the discipline you want you horse show in

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

When I had someone ride for me in a few classes it really depended upon the class. For example I had my trainer's son ride in one of the futurities for me. I had to pay for the class as well as pay for them to ride her. I hauled her myself so that saved some money there but if they had hauled her, they would have billed me for that as well. All the $ won would have been mine if she had won any as that was the agreement I had with my trainer.

Then I also had someone who was an amateur ride her in a HUS class. In that case, the rider had to pay for the class or it would have been like I had paid her and she would have lost her amateur status.

In your case, it sounds like you want someone else to show her for you so I would find a reputable trainer in the discipline she will be good at and then have a contract written up with them. Many people do that in the NRCHA which I used to show with. The owner usually pays for everything and gives the rider a percentage of the earnings.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

We only show at the schooling level for horse experience and resume padding but....

I met Cali when she was 12 years old at a barn we were boarding at. I was astounded to learn she was only 12 as she's such a nice girl and very mature for her age.

We moved the horses home a year later and I wanted to start showing Chevy in the series so I contacted her and she was thrilled to do it. She's a very good rider and it takes a strong rider to ride Chevy - I knew she was the one to do it. She's 14 now and the experience of riding different horses is great for her and expands her learning. She also owns and shows her own standardbred in jumpers.

Cali and I worked it out that she would work him 2 times a week over jumps and I would work him other times on the flat to keep him conditioned. Cali's parents are fantastic and schlep her wherever she needs to go, but she lives close enough that we are happy to pick up/drop off if necessary.

I pay for the classes and I keep the ribbons. We meet Cali at the venue an hour before her first class so they can warm up.

It's also very convenient that the show venue is literally 3 minutes from my house and it's also the barn where Cali boards her own horse.

Our final show of the season is tomorrow and I could not possibly be more proud of the effort both horse and rider have put in this first season together!!

7. Breezy2011

Breezy2011 Full Member

Thanks everyone! Hearing different experiences, I will either start her under saddle myself (which is what I planned when I bought her... project horse) in the spring next year, ride her for a while to get miles on, then send her to a trainer to fine tune her and show her, or ride her for a year and then find someone to show her for me, as a 4 year old.

I am not 100% sure of what I want her to be doing yet. I am hoping Whisper will be the horse that gets me back into the world of showing/competing and clinics. If sent to trainer, will go the reining route, if not sent to trainer, will possibly go ranch horse competitions and fun shows/gymkannas to see what she is good at and likes to do. I am hoping to go to a few clinics with her too in the future.

endurgirl and Alsosusieq2 like this.