Showing a TWH Colt

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by maddielj97, Aug 30, 2018.

1. maddielj97

maddielj97 Registered

Hello, I recently acquired a beautiful Perlino tobiano TWH yearling colt. I would like to show him, and start showing my other horses as well. Showing the colt will be my first time actually showing. I will show my other horses just for fun, but more seriously for the colt.

What sort of classes can/should I enter? I was thinking for now showmanship/halter type classes, in hand trail, etc. Any tips for those classes for gaited horses?

When I start training him for riding later on, what kind of riding classes can I show him in? I mainly ride western and prefer to stick with that if I can.

Attached Files:

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Find a Walking horse trainer that trains for natural gait. Not big lick. When he's two you can have him trained to drive and put him in driving class shows at Walking horse events. Then training him to ride, at three or four. After being trained to the cart it is a breeze to train him to ride. He knows all the basics already and the only big difference is, you're sitting closer. :D

3. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

@meljean is very knowledgeable on Walkers.

ginster, manesntails and maddielj97 like this.
  4. maddielj97

maddielj97 Registered

Cool! Thank you, never thought of driving! I will look into it!

manesntails likes this.
  5. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Showmanship is very fun and rewarding. You would need to teach him to set up, pivot, walk in hand, trot in hand, and back.

maddielj97 likes this.