Show venues

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by NBChoice, Mar 15, 2016.

1. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Yeah lol he was an interesting character. It was My national show horse.

2. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

The jumpers I groomed for had their own they took to shows that were on concrete bases.
    They were a bit of a pain but when you are at a series that is weeks on end it makes it better for the horses.
    And easier for the groom to clean vs super deep shavings.

3. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Sounds like general opinion here is that I can get by with bedding deeply if it is only for 2-3 days. Makes me feel better.

4. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I kind of want to bring this topic up again because show season is coming up and I am looking at prices of shows. I was hoping to get some more opinions/ideas. My first show is from a Wednesday to saturday and the stalls are on concrete.
    The shavings to be purchased from the show grounds are $10 per bag and relatively small compared to what I use at home. So if I want to bed these stalls nice and deep I'd have to get about 9 or 10 bags per stall. So.... for 2 horses that's going to cost me around $200. That seems crazy to me. So here we are again with the topic of mats.

I don't know what answer I'm looking for or if there is an easy solution. Just wanted more opinions I guess.
    Renting mats is not an option at this show, and I wouldn't want to pay for rentals anyway.

5. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Some friends of mine bought the thick foam mats (about 10ft x 4ft, made of the insulation you use on pipes in the winter, but about an inch thick). One horse demolished hers within a few minutes, the other horse did fine. If my horse didn't have any ongoing issue, I'd put shavings down and maybe use the BOT wraps, and be sure to take him out for a walk frequently to prevent stocking up.

Those mats were $90 and supposedly reusable, but not this time lol!!

6. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

I would look into buying a couple stall mats (or more) to take with you to shows. It would be worth the investment if you show regularly without mats and bedding gets to be expensive.

7. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

I pull the mats out of my horse trailer. I align it flush along the stall front where my nosy dude spends most of his time, then feed over areas the mat doesn't cover.

This obviously won't help if you trailer with the trainer, but works great when I drive my 1 horse in his 2 horse trailer!

Larkspade likes this.
  8. Larkspade

Larkspade Full Member

my trainer also said to do that, and I will if I ever find a show that has stalls with concrete floor(my show grounds are more like schooling shows unless its for e-team shows that they hold, so they don't have stalls).

9. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

It seems like such a pain to haul the mats out of the trailer and then align them again when leaving. Plus we are taking both horses in our 2 horse trailer, so I can't just take one side out and call it good.

I think a trip to tractor supply or menards is in order to see what is available out there.