1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Show venues

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by NBChoice, Mar 15, 2016.

1. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I wasn't entirely sure where to post this...

One of the venues I show at has a concrete base where the stalls are. We always bed the stalls deeply with shavings and the horses seem to do fine. They are never there for longer than about 3 days.

But I was wondering if anyone takes any kind of rubber mats to places like this? Or is there something else I can use that will be easy to clean up when leaving, but still cushion the ground a little? Or are they fine for a few days with deep shavings?

2. windblown

windblown Senior Member

I know of some big barns that haul mats with them, but I don't personally. Some bigger shows offer stall mat rental services, too, which is convenient (but pricey!). We just bed super deep if we don't have mats, and they all seem to handle it fine. I have Back on Track wraps and sheets that they'll wear at times. Some really like soft ride boots for horses if they're on concrete, too. That's usually for the shows where they're in those stalls for a week or so, though.

3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

We always haul rubber mats plus shavings. If you don't have mats, which can be pricey,a ton of shavings is the next best thing. The mats are disgusting to clean out at the end of the show but well worth it. The mats snap together like a puzzle. At the quarter horse congress they used to rent these boards to you, they were kinda like thin paneling stuff, never used them tho.

kodemiester and NBChoice like this.
  4. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

There was the option for mat rental when I showed in the Medford, OR circuit last summer. I just bedded his stall really well and got him out as often as possible. He was only there for less than three days though haha I would look into renting rather than hassle with trying to haul them. I always have so much stuff by the time I get his feed loaded....

NBChoice likes this.
  5. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I've seen the puzzle piece mats used too....they are a very light weight and easier to bring than the heavy duty mats. We just bed REAL deep.

6. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Thanks!
    I don't think rental I'd an option at this place, but when I have seen it it has been really expensive.
    I was thinking of using those light weight foam puzzle type mats, not the big heavy rubber ones. But clean up is probably really nasty.

7. bobo and horses

Our mats are not light weight, lol. They are actually not like the heavy rubber ones like they sell for stalls at home, but they are not the really light weight foam-ish ones. They cost us $40 per section, 4 by 4 feet. They now come in slightly smaller, earlier to handle size. The ones we have fit in the middle of the stalls with an edge of about 6 inches around the edges. They new ones fit much better, but ours are still good. Bought at the congress.

NBChoice likes this.
  8. bobo and horses

Wanted to add, don't forget them when time to leave! Lucky for us they knew who we were and saved them.

NBChoice likes this.
  9. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

The foam piece ones I never had any luck with, but I had a gelding who delighted in digging them up so he could play with them... Lol

GONE ROPING and NBChoice like this.
  10. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Haha the perfect toy!!

VermilionStrife likes this.