Show off your Versitile Horses!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by HSRascal, Nov 17, 2008.

1. HSRascal

HSRascal Senior Member

Hey guys!

I was just thinking there should be a thread to show off all the "things" you and your horse do! I know there are others like me who insist on doing EVERY possible discipline available!

OK here's my guy, he's only 5 so we're not very advanced in anything lol.

Western pleasure:
    [​IMG]

Jumping:
    [​IMG]

dressage:
    [​IMG]

Pleasure driving:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Halter:
    [​IMG]

Trail horse/Trail obstacle course:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ranch horse:
    [​IMG]

showmanship:
    [​IMG]

English Pleasure:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leadline/Lesson :p:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So who else has a horse that does it all!?

Post pics of you're horse doing everything you do!

2. BPH

BPH Senior Member+

great thread! i have no pictures, but i have a 19 y.o. arab that i have had since he was six. we have done english, jumping, polocrosse, western, millions of miles of trails, he was my barrel pole horse, and we sorted cows too! we did halter and showmanship back in the day, but that always seemed to flop. lol oh and he gave lessons too! :) now if only ALL my horses can be that versatile. lol

3. IIIBarsV

IIIBarsV Senior Member

Gooser, aka Three Bars The Fifth (Three Bars Five), AQHA gelding, 16hh, 15yrs old.

Western pleasure (not his strong area, but we can still get in the money):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Polebending with one rein (inside rein broke right before I turned the first end pole! He neckreined through, took two accidental spins, and still ran a clean 24 seconds, lol)
    [​IMG]

Normal polebending (not so great anymore due to a stiff shoulder/chiro issue that we're working on- and I prefer my little roan mare, she is smaller and snakier).
    [​IMG]

Trail rides, road rides:
    [​IMG]

Hunter O/F, up to 3'3 in the shows, been to 3'9 at home:
    [​IMG]

Hunter Under Saddle, Equitation, Show Hack, Road Hack, and Hunter Hack:

[​IMG]

Keyhole Racing
    [​IMG]

Halter- usually wins, unless he's lost some bulk (ie, when we're running barrels alot, he'll slim up, then the fat horses will beat him- but his conformation is real, working, functional! He doesn't have any splints, has never had a suspensory injury, and has clean legs. The only sign of heavy competition for 10+ years is some arthritis in the hind fetlock- it will stock up once in a while. But for a horse who jumps, barrel races, and shows HUS every weekend from May til October since he was 5 years old, his conformation has really held up! Also, it allows him the versatility to be this atheletic. Downside? White hooves. They are currently barefoot and doing great, despite years of shoes. In all reality, this gelding probably should've been left as a stallion. He acts like it, very very very dominant. But as a gelding he can enjoy a much less stressful life. Maybe I'll clone him. :D We need more functional horses!

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, he barrel races, too. Usually 2D, 3D in NBHA (16.0 in an average sized ring with moderate-heavy footing). I think I get in the way of his speed, though- we're going to try it differently in 2009 and see if he can hit 1D.
    [​IMG]

I also school dressage, but have not shown it and have no pictures or videos of doing such. He excels in high-collection movements and laterals, and can pull off a mean canter pirouette... yet his lead-changes are absolutely awful. He can reining-spin pretty well, too. We've also taught some lessons off him, and he's kind of a surrogate father figure for young horses or babies. He looooooves babies and ponies. Anything smaller than him, he just loves it.

The only things I haven't done with Gooser are cattle-related- team penning, cutting, etc- he'd probably be good at team roping, though; and I have not done any pleasure driving. (We attempted to teach him, but he really doesn't like you being behind him, and is deathly afraid of the cart, despite all our best techniques... my mom is a Canadian National Pleasure Driving Champion, but even she couldn't get him to appreciate the idea. That said, I can ride him and pull a sled behind- as long as I'm on his back, he really doesn't care so much.) Overall, he's not THAT quiet- just very brilliant and very well-trained, and has a lot of trust for me.

We try to keep all our horses as versatile as possible, although there are a couple who just prefer their discipline. The young horses are shown extensively in low-stress local clubs and fairs, and in western pleasure, english, and sometimes trotted through barrels. We let them choose what they want to do, basically. I have two horses who are so western-pleasurey that they never go fast, even in a field. They are naturally low and slow, yet both make fantastic low hunters o/f- you'd never dream of barrel racing them. Then I have others (such as my little roan mare, and Turbo, a halter-bred appy barrel racing 4x Top Ten World/World Show Open barrel racer) who are strictly barrel horses, but school dressage and hunter under saddle (western pleasure too, in Turbo's case), and could excel in those disciplines, but really prefer to run. (Turbo is named literally. LOL)

Everybody trail rides, except my western pleasure mare- she gets too whacky to trail ride safely unless we're at home. Despite being shown extensively, she's never shown any sign of ring sourness. Gooser will, occasionally, get bored with pleasure- that's when I take him jumping, or barrel racing. Then he'll get bored with that, and want to go slow again... he is an oddball.

My sister has always been a "one discipline only" type mentality, and I suppose it's worked out well for her since her home-raised self-trained polebender Sugar Bear just won Congress two more times, making him a 3x Congress Champion in polebending. He also has Top Tens at Congress in Novice Youth Barrels, NYATT Barrels, the Polebending Sweepstakes, and Sr Horse Polebending. However, this year she started schooling some more dressage into him in order to improve his movement, strength, and polebending ability, and keep him from getting too pushy under saddle (aka "hot").

Switching up disciplines and adding training keeps things interesting, and improves horsemanship on the rider's part. Someone who can stick on multiple horses or the same horse and win jumping, barrel racing, and western pleasure really knows how to ride- you can see it in the way they sit, how they use their hands, etc. I always give extra kudos there. Another not-so-thought-of reason to keep your horse versatile also has to do with repetitive-exercise induced injuries- this is especially important for anyone who shows a lot in the same discipline- Jumpers, barrel racers, and rail-classes. The repetition of motion and the muscles being used can eventually turn into problems (hocks, fetlocks, and specific suspensory injuries, mostly). Overuse can lead to a breakdown- so when you're doing different types of riding, you're working different muscle groups. This is why trail riding is great conditioning, the horse has to use different muscle groups on varied terrain.

Versatility is probably the reason my family hasn't had a serious breakdown or repetition-induced injury yet... in years of heavy competition. The last time we had a suspensory injury on a competition horse was when Turbo got into the manure pile and strained his check ligament on the way down. So, versatility is keeping horses healthier in the long run, mentally and physically.

4. Canadian Sage

Canadian Sage Senior Member

Here was my versitile horse: Sage!:D

Dressage
    [​IMG]

Hunter/Jumper
    [​IMG]

English Pleasure
    [​IMG]

Halter
    [​IMG]

Reining
    [​IMG]

Western Pleasure
    [​IMG]

Keyhole
    [​IMG]

Trail
    [​IMG]

I cant find pictures of: working cow horse, barrels, or poles, kids riding her, me goofing off on her.

She was my true all around horse, whatever I asked her to do, she did with eagerness!:D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  5. equestsarah81

equestsarah81 Senior Member+

:eek:WOW!!!:eek: Dang! Where can I find a horse like yours!!! :wink:

6. HSRascal

HSRascal Senior Member

IIIbarsV - What a beauty. I like those HUS shots, was that his specialty?

Sage - WOW, Sage was gorgeous over fences. It's great to see those kinds that just go at anything you ask full force.

Sarah -LOL. Thanks, apparently he's kind of a gem in his bloodlines as far as performance. His Sire only has 4 foals, and Rascal is the only one who shows performance classes (has another halter foal, but they are only half-brothers). He's been so awesome, especially since he's been my first real training project from his first canter to showing AQHA.

All I know is I'd take another one of that horse any day.

So where's everyone elses pics?!?!? I know it's not just us.

7. McGregor Ranch

McGregor Ranch Senior Member

Sage -- you must be the same Canadian Sage from the horsecity forum??? I thought I recognized your horse!

No pictures, but I have a mare that will be hopefully being shown in several events this year, plus be a trail horse, kid riding horse, and do some competitive endurance. She was the HOA show horse of the year for 2008, plus did the mn horse expo, and logged about 500 trail miles last summer.

8. Canadian Sage

Canadian Sage Senior Member

Yes I am.

My plan for her next year was to get her back into shape and start her over fences again (and do some reining, barrels and poles), but since she passed away (RIP) I won't be able to do it. She did tollerate some things I did (like WP), but hunter/jumper was her fortee and I had retired her from the APHA circuit.

She was truely a tallented tallented mare, I dont think I will ever find a horse that will be as "true" as that mare was.:)

9. HUS_WP_lovr

HUS_WP_lovr Senior Member

Jackson (VR Zippo Tommy Too)
    HUS
    [​IMG]

Trail class
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    WP
    [​IMG]

Trail horse
    front horse
    [​IMG]

Lesson horse
    [​IMG]

HMS
    [​IMG]

Kids pony
    [​IMG]

Goofin around
    [​IMG]

Leadline
    [​IMG]
    I dont have pics of Huntseat Eq,Barrels, jumping or SMS for him. Before going lame I put his lead change on for western riding but we never got to do it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  10. HUS_WP_lovr

HUS_WP_lovr Senior Member

Felix (NLF Trulee Catwalkin)
    HUS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Huntseat Eq
    [​IMG]
    SMS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]