Show me your sooty palominos!

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by lblagden, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Bodi

Bodi Senior Member

Yes, your pony is definitely brown silver, not bay silver.

With Bodi, if you seen him in person you can clearly see he has cream tones to his body. Something a silver dapple of any color will not have. He has many similarities to some of them as far as shade goes, particularly since he has darkened down. Sometimes he even looks like a few of them. Even though not tested specifically for silver, it is genetically very very unlikely that he is. Regardless even if he did carry silver, silver cannot express on a red base, and being palomino that is exactly the base that he is. :cool:

2. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

Yep, I third the opinion that the cute pony is definitely a Silver (brown base, likely...or very very dark bay) So you were right all along! :)

OP - you want "less extreme sooty palominos"??? There were a couple of them in there. I purposely posted "super sooty" because the thread was about sooty palominos.

If you want "barely sooty" - there are tons out there :) HEre's a couple:

This is one of my favorite Morgans :)
    [​IMG]

Non Morgan:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Non Morgan:
    [​IMG]

This is what a SUPER SOOTY PALOMINO looks like with an extra cream gene - this is a dark sooty cremello:
    [​IMG]

3. KiereeAngel86

KiereeAngel86 Senior Member

Here is my sooty Palomino. She is darker when she first sheds her winter coat but gets lighter as the summer goes by.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and here is a couple of her Sire. Not sure she will get as dark as him but hoping.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. lblagden

lblagden Senior Member+

Haha, thanks Fancy That! I did want to see the whole spectrum, we had the extreme ones first and now the less sooty ones. I love that morgan - the soot really makes his dapples stand out!

5. lblagden

lblagden Senior Member+

Do sooty horses tend to get darker year after year?

6. Kerri_rn2b

Kerri_rn2b Full Member

Here is the sooty palomino I dream about... He isnt mine, but oh how I wish he was...

[​IMG]

Saph, frisco17 and DriftwoodsQHs like this.
  7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

His sire, Big Chex to Cash, is also a very lovely example of sooty palomino:D
    (Not mine, obviously:p)

[​IMG]

frisco17 likes this.
  8. firelight27

firelight27 Senior Member+

I think I prefer the less extreme sooty...I love that touch of darkness to the haunches and on the lower legs, and the silver in the manes. It seems like the sooty on the horses that are really dark seems to make dapples stand out more as well.

9. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

I also like the moderate sooty because when you get crazy/extreme sooty, you get so much black/grey/silver in the mane and tail, that you start to lose that nice contrast of dark body and light mane and tail.

That Big Chex To Cash colt is STUNNING!! I bet he doesn't keep that pure white mane and tail though. Will get darker...

10. Bodi

Bodi Senior Member

I had forgotten. Two weeks ago I did take a really nice unattractive photo of Bodi to show his color. Just for a thread like this if it ever popped up. ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
    3 people like this.