Should I Provide Salt?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by crayon, Jul 10, 2018.

1. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Have you tried plain salt and offer loose mineral? See which one she prefers. If it's minerals she's lacking, she won't get enough from the block. You could buy stock salt to give her a daily ration. I bought a Redmond Rock once. I had one mare who obsessed over it, and it made me worry.

Baboo likes this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

Some horses just destroy salt blocks out of boredom or constraint or it's just a horse that has to be more actively chewing on something all the time in general.

My mare does that. She can't have a salt block - she destroys them quickly. She gets a complete feed; the manufacturer says it has adequate salt in it. She gets electrolytes during warm weather as a little insurance.

I'll re-read - I think it was a large block in a month? If it's outside uncovered it's going to fall apart pretty quickly.

3. WildLittleWren

WildLittleWren Full Member

40 to 50 gallons of water a day is sort of an insane amount. Has your vet looked at her? Might be deficient in something

4. crayon

crayon Senior Member

Yes, it was a big block. The salt block is indoors and she has free access to pasture all day. She has always been very orally fixated. She'll chew up anything with reach, so that could play a part.

She has has blood tests by the vet because of the water consumption. Because of the salt block she regularly drinks up 40-60 gallons a day now depending on the weather. I have been going through SO much bedding lately and am considering just putting her on a measured salt/mineral supplement. Maybe free choice just doesn't work for all horses.

ChestersMomma and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Sounds like she's flushing her system, I'd probably not give her free choice, she's an exception.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

She's probably not eating that whole block. They often fool around with a large salt block and drop a lot of salt on the ground.

7. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

Are we supposed to put the salt block near the waterer?

8. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

That’s personal choice

Mine are in their shelter which is 30’+ from their water

They get hay scattered throughout nets that are no less than 20’ from the water

But I like making my fatties walk and move

*** however you may get more responses to your individual question by making your own thread here :)

9. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member+

In an equine nutrition course I took it suggested horses need 2 tablespoons of salt a day, most horses are deficient. Wood chewing was linked to salt deficiency as horses will lick to satisfy salt cravings but not mineral needs.
    Because of the different mineral requirements a white or blue block was preferred and specific horse mineral formulations added to feed rather than the red cow block. I know I know, some people have used red blocks for years with no problems, just saying preferred method from equine nutritionalists.
    I remember something about sometimes a horse that has been deficient will get addicted to salt.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

I wouldn't.

At least not with Wuss Horse.

He is sort of a walking fireman. He drools water all over after he has a beverage.