Should I give up? Mentality of horse not good for job?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by buddytink, Feb 18, 2017.

1. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

I think it's hormone related now . Rode her today at home, shes back to the reactive, racing, not wanting to listen, real sensitive and constantly wanting to go. And hard as hello to ride and my back is killing me from trying to ride her weird gait. It was a mixture between a trot, skip, and a lope. All she wanted to do was focus on the other horses and when they reacted she reacted.

2. Quarter Girl

Quarter Girl Full Member

If it's a hormone thing perhaps spaying or a mare marble is your answer.

3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

The thing is unless you've changed your riding tactics from the last video you posted, you're just a passenger up there and giving no direction. So, unless you're able to redirect and shut that behavior down its going to continue. Horse knows who's up on her back and what you can do up there.

ginster, manesntails and lucky_pine like this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I agree with Blue. You ride at home, where she's near to other horses and she's just being her, fighting you to take charge, because she can. Out in the woods, no other horses, she just goes along.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't think it's hormone related. But you could prove it one way or another by having the vet do a few simple tests.

PyroTekNik333 likes this.
  6. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

That's the thing, at home she rides great a few days and then she'll go back to the reactive side. And when I hauled her there were other horses on the fence there as well and she did great there. I may be a horrible rider but I would think that if it was all my riding then she'd do it all the time regardless of where I was or when I rode.

7. slc

slc Senior Member

Get over it, we're all horrible riders, LOL. We all need to take up surfing for cat videos full time instead. You say 'I may be a horrible rider' like you're SPECIAL or something.

In other words, relax. No one's perfect. You don't have to defend yourself. We're all 'shmoos riding livestock in circles'. We can all be doing something wrong.

If your horse is bad 'every couple days' and good 'for a couple days', she may not be getting enough exercise, or more likely, you're not correcting the behavior when it's small, so it gets big. Then you have to correct big time again, work her down, etc.

Sounds like it would be good if you got lessons with her.

Have you had the horse tested for repro tumors and other repro abnormalities? For some reason I was thinking she'd had a really good workup already when I wrote the above. Then I realize, maybe not. What vet work has been done recently/so far?

Nu5ha, Sam C. and manesntails like this.
  8. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

Umm... I wasn't being defensive or trying to defend myself. Just thinking out loud as I was typing that response.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

Have you had the horse go thru a repro health exam? Would you consider riding lessons?

10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Pay her no mind....she's the best arm chair equestrian on here.