Should Benetton produce exactly like Puchilingui - colour pattern / markings wise?

Discussion in 'Horse Colors / Genetics' started by TrueColoursFarm, Dec 25, 2012.

1. TrueColoursFarm

TrueColoursFarm Senior Member+

Benetton is by Bliss MF out of TCF Nightlight (Guaranteed Gold / Puchi Trap by Puchilingui)

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of pictures of Puchilingui:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jerry Tyler (Puchi's owner) always had the most success when he bred plain bay, black, chestnut mares to Puchi. The results always looked like Puchi Trap, Nightlight, Faux Finish, Sato, etc when he did so - really neat markings, body white, usually high leg white, lots of facial white

If he bred mares with tall stockings, lots of facial white to Puchi, he usually ended up with the all white foals like Artic Color, Artic Squaw, Chet DT, Select Snow Squaw, Padrama, Shew, etc

So ... thinking WAY ahead of course ;) ... if Ben hangs around and we do the show / approval route with him, he should then produce pretty well identically to what Puchilingui has done in the past

I would think???

I dont know - just something Im mulling over right now ... if he does well performance wise and he earns the right to stay a stallion, I think there should be interest in what he brings to the table - colour genetics wise??? As well as bloodline wise?

Louly1990 and Equustrian like this.
  2. ACCphotography

ACCphotography Senior Member

Yes, I would expect virtually identical results.

4 people like this.
  3. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Senior Member

Yep. Same thing we've been saying pretty much the whole time. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member

Wow, talk about a flashback to his great grandsire! Wow! (color/markings-wise) Being DW, it's safer to put him to solid mares, so you lessen the chance of all-white/super-loud DW.

By breeding Nightlight (a DW) to a very chromed out stallion, you got a super-loud DW :) He's lovely!

4 people like this.
  5. TrueColoursFarm

^ I know

ACC mentioned I think as soon as he was born, he was identical to Puchilingui in so many ways and not just from the markings but also the structure of his head, etc

He is going to be more substantial than Puchi owing to the WB part of his breeding, but as he is maturing, I really do see so many similarities between the 2 of them

He's an interesting colt for sure! :)

6. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Is he a Thoroughbred? Or what breed would he be considered?

So if he'd breed to a mare such as mine, she would probably throw a max DW? And what if that max DW is bred back to something like Nightlight? (just curious obviously haha)

7. ACCphotography

ACCphotography Senior Member

Yes it's likely he would throw a max white with her, or if he didn't pass his DW the foal would just get mom's chrome. If that max white foal were bred to something like Nightlight you have the full range of possibility from solid to all white and virtually everything in between just depending on how the cards fall. Probably more likely to get a lot of white though. There is some question as to the viability of a homozygous DW but there hasn't been enough line-breeding yet for them to really know what the actual potential is, especially if crossing two different lines (and thus mutations) of DW to each other as opposed to the same line.

8. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

So it's all color Russian Roulette. Very neat.

2 people like this.
  9. TrueColoursFarm

lucky pine - he was RPSI inspected and registered. I had the options of GOV, RPSI and BWP with him and RPSI made the most sense to go with ... :)

10. flyingcolors

flyingcolors Senior Member

I do have one from the same line. Dam is Shew O Gold GF (by GG out of Shew, an all white (bay) Puchi daughter). Her colt by Ellusive Look (Aa EE O/n) was born with some coloring like Benetton, bay spots all over the body and a bay helmet. Now he has gone totally white. All color on the body has gone and the mane and tail have gone greying and I guess that will be white in short time too.