Shock Collar For Horses

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by avasmom, May 9, 2007.

1. avasmom

avasmom Senior Member

Erm...just saw in a magazine...the "ViceBreaker" for horses. Endorsed by our very own Clinton Anderson.

It's a shock collar very similar to one you use on a dog. Use it to stop common vices.

Opinions? I don't think I like it. Maybe if it was only available to experienced horse people who had seriously dangerous horses-not the kinda of dumb people who think they put one on to teach them to Piaffe or something.
    Horse, Equine, ViceBreaker | Product Information | H1, H1-2, H1-3, Charger, etc. | Vice Breaker

2. Andaletta

Andaletta Senior Member+

when i studied horse behaviour in my breedin course we focased alot on "vices" or Stereotypic Behaviour

there was a study conducted of 20 horses.. 10 horses with vices 10 without all facing each other, the horses who didnt have vices never caught on the behaviour (as some people say they learn it from other horses) after a prolonged study they euthanised all the horses and opened up their stomachs and found the 10 that didnt have vices had terrible ulcers and the 10 that did have vices didnt have any ulcers..

in my own view their is no cure for a vice, there are ways to reduce the behaviour but only if you look at the factors for instance the horse is box walking.. its stable is too small, the horse wood chews, needs more forage etc.. i dont think equipment helps i think they can depress your horse with the unneccessary (sp?) discomfort given by a vice equipment but of course some of you will disagree with what i have said..

3. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Depends on the vice.

I think if you want to stop something without them associating YOU with it, a shock collar (for severe issues) is excellent

however, it should not be for ANYTHING and in my opinion, a last ditch effort before giving in

4. harli36

harli36 Senior Member+

^^^ I'm sure there's more to this story but in case there isn't that's pretty sad that they put down 20 horses to look for ulcers when they could have just scoped them.

Shock collars for horses eh:no: :no: ? So many vices in horses are caused by other things, mainly stress and diet. I think it's sad that a big name trainer would endorse something like this for the use of the general public, who is normally not knowledgeable enough to figure the root of the problem.

If stress is the issue causing the vice then the shock collar will only make it worse and if diet is the issue then it won't fix the problem and will probably stress the horse out as well.

:no: :no: :no: :no:

5. Julia Gulia

Julia Gulia Senior Member+

I think that a device such as this would cause even more health problems for the horse. Best to treat the source of the symptoms...not the symptoms themselves. New Research studies indicate that colic isn't caused by the cribbing , instead the cribbing is the result of the horse trying to ease an acidic stomach . cribbing releases endorphins to ease the pain in the tummy.
    It would seem that it would be more beneficial to reduce the need to crib by changing the horses diet and environment. By depriving a horse of his need to crib we increase his anxiety which causes more health problems. Vicious cycle:eek:
    In short....I wouldn't use a device like this...not even if it were endorsed by Dennis Quaid...whom I consider extremely cute and adorable:D

6. stormyknight

stormyknight Senior Member

I agree with BW...as a last resort for serious vices (cribbing that is causing repeated life-threatening colics), I would consider it, but not as a cure-all, fix-all use it on everything tool.

7. harli36

harli36 Senior Member+

LMAO :hah: :hah: :hah:

8. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

9. Julia Gulia

Julia Gulia Senior Member+

10. Andaletta

Andaletta Senior Member+

yep the whole class was terribly upset about it