Shipping Meat Cross Country?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NaeNae, May 16, 2018.

1. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Total long shot but HGS (MHF) can be a wealth of unexpected knolwedge quite often so I'll have a stab.

The BF and I are headed across country (Canada) from BC to Newfoundland (literally the opposite coast hahaha) in October for 16 days to visit his sister and hunt moose. She, her BF and his friend have drawn two moose tags and apparently they have a massive moose population so we are hoping that the odds will be in our favor and we will be coming home with a moose. But if we do...we need to get it home.

I've started looking a bit into how to ship it home if we do get one but wanted to know if anyone here might have any knowledge or ideas!

The biggest ways seem to be
    1. Leave it with local butcher to hang (typically for 1-2 weeks) then process and ship via however butcher chooses. From my brief googling this appears to be the most expensive way.
    2. Leave it with local butcher to hang, process and have BF's sister pack and ship out. Need to look into FedEx, UPS, Purolator etc. and see what might be best.
    3. If we luck out and harvest something towards the beginning of our trip, can hang at the butcher for a week, he processes and then we pack it into our bags and check in with our flight home and ship our gear home. (This seems to be most cost effective and lots of other hunters have done this way but I'm thinking this will only be dependent on if we shoot something within the first few days of being there.)
    Any thoughts/experience with shipping something like this cross country? Could be 600-800lbs of moose meat depending on size of bull.

Also really hoping our airline will allow a rack as a carry on if we harvest something with a decent rack. From what I've read in the US, only one airline will let you carry on a rack and it needs to be a certain size or less. Need to check with our airline...

ALSO, if anyone here has been to Newfoundland and knows of any great things to go see, please let me know! We have a few ideas, I'm also going to be booking us a day ride with a local riding outfit while there.

2. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

You would likely have to check it, as far as i know you can only bring food bought inside the airport as a carry on. Shipping it would probably be your best bet. As for the rack best bet would be to call but it may be too big

3. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Yup, the plan would be to check it if we flew home with it. As long as it's frozen solid in bags and/or a box/cooler it seems to work. And most people would do 3-5 boxes/bags and just make sure nothing exceeded the 50lb weight limit so they didn't get overweight bag fees.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.