Shipping a show saddle?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by EnglishRider234, Mar 4, 2019.

1. EnglishRider234

EnglishRider234 Senior Member

I think I have my old western show saddle sold. Which company ships for the most cheap? It is only going from Indiana to Ohio.

2. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

I’ve shipped a few saddles lately and USPS has been the cheapest for most of them. Just shipped 2 dressage saddlesacross the country for $65-70. But it also depends on how small of a box you can fit the saddle into. Pretty sure the western saddle I sold a few months ago went in a 18x18x25 or 26 box. Also if you got paid through PayPal, their multi order shipping system has the best pricing.

EnglishRider234 likes this.
  3. RusticR

RusticR Senior Member+

Correct. If you can get it under or at the 18/18/25 dimensions USPS is usually cheaper. Depending on where it’s going if it’s bigger than that UPS or FEDEX might be cheaper. I’ve not personally used FedEx only as they don’t have any easy place to ship near me. I’ve used both ups and usps though.

4. RusticR

RusticR Senior Member+

Make sure you get the full amount insured as well!!

5. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

USPS in a large home depot box. Use USPS click and ship for best prices. Ive shipped about 4-5 saddles in the last 2 mon.

kodemiester and GotaDunQH like this.
  6. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I've shipped 3 saddles and USPS is always the "Cheapest". I always get full replacement value insurance. Just pack it up and take it to an independent pack and ship place. They will give you all the options to chose from.

7. spec

spec Full Member

I sold a very large, heavy show saddle last year. I took it to a UPS store to have it professionally packed and shipped. They have all the good stuff & make a custom box. From what I remember it was more expensive, but the peace of mind was worth it in my opinion.

8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I’d just get a box from Home Depot or Staples. Use the smallest box you can.

If you take to a shipping place for them to pack they will go packing peanuts........some people feel that’s the equivalent of sending your enemy glitter, so just be aware of that. A saddle sized box is going to have one heck of a lot of packing peanuts. :eek: :rofl::hah:

Otherwise UPS if you have an account (maybe thru work?) has always been cheapest for saddles.

9. palogal

palogal Senior Member

I ship USPS. I think it depends on your area. In some places UPS Is cheaper, depending on where your hub is.

10. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

When I shipped the Broken Horn and Silver Mesa and Champion saddles, they all had a big skirt. If the overall length of the skirt isn't over 28", you can probably use a dish pack box from U-Haul. It's double walled. If it's bigger than that, I used a wardrobe box, sometimes from U-Haul but I did get some slightly used ones cheap from a local moving company. The shipping rates are calculated by dimensional weight, which presumes large bulky box and they allow up to a certain weight limit for a certain size of box, then the next size box up is a higher weight limit and higher cost, etc. Actual weight and actual shipping distance do factor into the cost. Longer distance = higher cost. If you exceed the weight limit for that size box, you'll be charged extra cost for that. You can plug the dimensions and weight into the online estimators and get your own prices.

I had to ship one show saddle from PA to Oregon, and this was back in 2008, and it was going to cost me over $100 if I paid for it myself online or at a UPS customer counter. BUT my employer had a discounted UPS rate for commercial businesses, and their cost for that same shipment was only $53 or so, with insurance and signature. The employer let me ship it through their account and just pay them pack for it. If you know someone with a business account, that may be an option for you, too.