1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Share your best recipes!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Taxi Jumper, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Simply

Simply Senior Member

OK Cricket - post 12 has 3 recipes that are veggie if you sub the meat for fake meat in 2 of them. I use Worthington Vege-burger in the tater tot one and chick patties by morningstar in the taco soup (eating it again right now, still delicious)

Just made Creamy 1 pot pasta this week too for lunches, its pampered chef that I made dairy free:
    4 garlic cloves
    1 jar sundried tomatoes (I just use 2-3 tomatoes, or a can of diced tomatoes)
    3 cans veggie broth
    1lb uncooked penne pasta
    1 head broccoli
    2 med carrots (i love carrots and use 4, haha)
    4 oz cream cheese (i use tofutti cream cheese for dairy free, the whole little container. works great)
    pepper and salt to taste

simmer garlic in oil, add broth and bring to a boil. add pasta and cook till *almost* done, add cut up broccoli and carrots and cook till ready. once all cooked, add cream cheese and stir till creamy! delish.

Spinach artichoke risotto (for when I'm feelin fancy)
    1 quart veggie broth
    3 garlic cloves
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 cups arborio rice
    1 cup dry white wine (i skipped... too lazy to go back to store)
    1 14 oz can of artichoke hearts drained and quartered (or ripped to pieces cuz you didn't wanna cut them, haha!)
    1 tbls dill (2 if chopped fresh, honestly I just used a few dashes of dried)
    10 oz baby spinach
    1/2 cup scallions
    feta cheese optional

boil broth, set aside
    in separate pan cook garlic in oil for just a few seconds till golden. add rice and cota each grain with oil. stir in wine artichoke hearts and dill if using dried. cook, stirring often till wine is absorbed. add broth in 1 cup batches and allow rice to soak up the broth before adding more. (aka be patient) when most of the broth is absorbed, add spinach and finish cooking. remove from heat, add scallions, feta cheese and dill if using fresh. Yummo.

K I'll be done :)

1 person likes this.
  2. LoveMyZipNStorm

LoveMyZipNStorm Senior Member

Two staples in my house are rice and beans. I always have each of those made for the week to eat quick lunches with, or to pair with dinner. So here are our favorites:

Cilantro-Lime Rice

2 cups rice
    4 cups water
    1 bundle cilantro
    3 limes
    salt
    olive oil

Rinse rice well with warm water until water is clear. Place rice in medium sauce pan with water, a dash salt (probably 1 tbsp), and small pour of olive oil (around 2-3 tbsp). I never measure the salt or oil :p. Bring to a rapid boil. Cover with a lid and reduce heat to low, and set timer for 15 mins. While that's cooking chop the whole bunch of cilantro well. Once the 15 mins are up, turn burner off but leave the rice on the burner. Put all of the cilantro in the rice, and squeeze all 3 limes in the rice. Mix/Stir it well. Let sit for 5 mins, then fluff with a fork. Salt to taste (I never have to add any salt), and serve.

Puerto Rican Red Beans (Well my variation of them ;))

2 cans small red beans - un-drained
    4 tbsp Goya Sofrito Tomato base <- found in the Latin isle of Wal-mart or your local Mexican Supermarcado
    4 tbsp tomato sauce
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    Small palm full oregano
    2 small packets Goya Sazòn con Culantro y Achiote <- Also found in the Latin isle of Wal-Mart or local Mexican Supermarcado

Mix all ingredients together and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the mixture is hot and beans are tender.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

This one I made last night...and its soooo good.

Fig Pizza with Spaghetti squash crust.

Spaghetti squash pizza crust

approx 3 cups cooked spaghetti squash. I roast it in the oven on 375 for about an hour. You cook it until it scrapes off easily with a fork. Then let it cool, and scrape it out. Squeeze out excess water and measure out approximately 3 cups.
    1 cup grated cheese. I use pepper jack but Monterey would work or any other cheese.
    1 egg.

You can also make this crust with Cauliflower and add various italian herbs into it as well. I usually add an italian mix and others as well :)

Mix it together and press onto pizza stone/sheet/etc. I always butter the pan before I put the dough on, helps it stick less. I suppose you could try flour or corn meal...haven't tried those.

Bake at 375 until golden brown

Cover with toppings and bake again until it looks good.

Fig pizza Toppings

2 ripe figs, sliced and pan roasted or baked.
    sliced Proscuitto. I bought 1/8 lb and I didn't even use half of it.
    Sliced red onion and pan roast until desired crispness.
    cooked spinach
    Cover with grated Fontina cheese.

place in oven and bake!

4. maggiesmom

maggiesmom Senior Member

Here's a crock-pot recipe! Great for winter weekends!

LoadedBaked Potato Soup

6 large baking potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2 -inch cubes
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 quart chicken broth
    3 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
    1/4 cup butter
    2 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup cream or 1 cup half-and-half cream
    1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
    1 cup sour cream (optional)
    8 slices bacon, fried & crumbled
    cheese, for sprinkling

Directions:
    1. Combine first seven ingredients in a large crock pot; cover and cook on
    HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours (potatoes should be tender).
    2. Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly
    thickened.
    3. Stir in cream, cheese and chives.
    4. Top with sour cream (if used), sprinkle with bacon and more cheese.

2 people like this.
  5. Naomie

Naomie Senior Member

6. Simply

Simply Senior Member

Drooling all over my keyboard right now. LOVE fig and LOVE spaghetti squash. So going to try this this weekend!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I highly recommend it! I make fig pizza almost every month because I love it so much! This was the first spaghetti squash crust i've done (usually do the cauliflower) and it was SO GOOD! Made even better by the fact that I grew the squash :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Simply

Simply Senior Member

Nice way to have pizza and cut out a ton of carbs :)

1 person likes this.
  9. all4him

all4him Senior Member

i think I could handle this tonight!! I just got my last wisdom tooth pulled and it was a tough one so I'm going soft for a day and this looks really good. Just got a 10 lb. bag of potatoes the other day and while I'd need to get a few of the ingredients, I can run out later and get them but the potatoes can be cooking in the meantime. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  10. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

i'm going to try this one too! my grandma makes something similar on the stove top and i LOVE her potato soup!