1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Sewing Horse Stuff... lengths and material help...

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by FutureVetGirl, Dec 23, 2008.

1. FutureVetGirl

FutureVetGirl Senior Member+

OK... so my Grandma is here... and for the past couple of days, we've been going sew crazy. We just finished a blue jean bag... that I'll use for my grooming gear. My next project is a sledding harness for my dog.

But then after that, I'd like to make these things (either with my Grandma, or without):

Saddle pad (I'd use sponge foam for batting, or wait until volunteers come with it)
    Set of Polos
    Bridle Bag (if I buy a bridle in Budapest... I'll need a bag... ;) )
    Saddle Bag (the kind I can use on trail rides, not the storage bag)

So... I have jersey material that I'm going to use for the saddle pad (need to find the harder cotton material).

What kind of material would I need for the other things? I honestly have no idea...

2. Cowgirlatheart

Cowgirlatheart Senior Member

Thats a good question!!! I have been wondering the same, since I LOVE sewing and spend many winter hours making stuff I never use. I am going to keep and eye on this, and if I figure any numbers out I will send them here!!!

3. FutureVetGirl

I'm always REALLY bored. Of course... the one week with nice weather is the week I can't leave to go to the stables because my Grandparents are here... ;)

So yeah... I'd really like some stuff to make... Just WAY bored. :D

4. Cowgirlatheart

I know that feeling. It is actually above 0 today, so ALL I want to do is go to the barn, but there are snow drifts on the road that prevent me from getting there....
    (Yes I tried, and spent an hour shoveling my car out before a truck came to rescue me) *sigh*

5. Cowgirlatheart

Lookie what I found!!!
    http://www.suitability.com/

I haven't looked at the patterns yet, but they look like SOMETHING might work!!!

6. Cowgirlatheart

oh nevermind....you have to buy the patterns:(

7. FutureVetGirl

I'm not needing any patterns... more of just information on actual materials... and lengths of different things.

8. Cowgirlatheart

well then I guess this won't help much
    http://myhorseforum.com/threads/91291/

For the pad I would use a good cotton
    Polos, I would use fleece,
    Bridal/Saddle bags I would use the sturdiest thing you can find. Canvas is good, maybe a heavy nylon of you are looking for something waterproof.

I can't help with measurements LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
  9. CalamityCowgirl

CalamityCowgirl Senior Member

man if i had a sewing machine and knew how to sew i would sooooo buy some of those =[ i really think i wanna make my own sleazy cause i have yet to find a pattern i really like, plus with how easy they are to rip yikes lol... maybe i'll try getting a sewing machine soon and then see what i can figure out... i learn best with following directions and from there trial and error lol

good luck guys

10. ShowJumper23

ShowJumper23 Senior Member+

I would use fleece for the polos. Thats what I use, and most of my polos that I've bought are made of that material.

Not to mention, you can get some pretty cute patterns on them too.

I almost bought a pair that were pink and had little rubber duckies on them :p