Sentinelese, isolated tribe of India, kill Missionary

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slc, Dec 4, 2018.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

The problem is, they only go away for the time being.

I've had them come right into my fenced yard, tell me I am, in so many words, a liar, when I alert them to the sign stating that my dog bites. Then, reach for the dog lucky to pull back just in time to avoid her lunging and attempting to grab said hand.

I've had them pull in, right up to the house, honk the horn and expect I should gladly interrupt my day to come listen to them blather. NO concern for others and the fact that my SO had worked all night and was sleeping at the time.

Coming to your house unannounced, without permission is RUDE. So, listen to your Pastors, ya'll and BELIEVE that gawd, not your money hungry church, wants you to “spread the word“ because ya'll who would go around doing what we are protesting about, are interested in one thing and one thing only: Getting pats on the back from your little Church group.

People always do stuff for themselves first, others second, and in the case of “Converters“ are rude and thoughtless of those who end up their victims.

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I am glad that no one tried aggressively to convert me. I have been able to shut it down pretty quickly.
    Since I am not a spiritual person this stuff irks me nonetheless. Why can they not accept my choice to live my life how I see fit?

manesntails and Pirate like this.
  3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

But, until you tell them that, how do they know that fact? I don’t want people trying to convert me, either, or save my soul, but don’t expend your energy in an unconstructive way. I have never had anyone act that agressively when they have approached me. I have had Mormans, 7 th Day Adventist’s, etc., all come to my door or yard, and they leave immediately when I tell them to do so. Maybe just my part of the country, but just walk away, close the door, they leave.

Don’t let them engage with you. Saves your blood pressure, too.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

I wrote a letter to the Jehovah's Witnesses. It said that all of their people were forbidden from coming onto my property.

For a while the JW had been coming to my door, leaving pamphlets, chatting with me. We had a 'friendly relationship.' I didn't mind them coming over as long as they didn't get too pushy. For example at one point one of them told me I shouldn't read a specific book of apocrypha or I would 'get confused,' and I told her she didn't have any right to tell me what to read or not read.

So they were coming here occasionally. And I didn't mind. Then for quite some time none of them dropped by. Then one day a big car load of younger JW people came down the drive.

What happened was this. My old dog was arthritic and losing his vision and hearing. He was on my property.

The JW car came down my driveway. He was going faster than I felt was appropriate. I shouted, "Stop, the dog is blind!" The dog had wandered in front of the car.

The person in the car leaned out the window and said, "He'll get out of the way."

I shouted again, "STOP THE CAR!"

He kept driving forward. The dog was still in front of the car. I shouted AGAIN, "STOP! STOP THE CAR!"

And yes, in fact, that was one time when yours truly really actually DID go ballistic.

Let us say that I became very angry.

The JW national headquarters got a letter from me and so did the local office.

I informed them that they are forbidden to ever come on my property again, and that if they do the police will be called and I will take legal action against their organization.

A lady did call me to apologize. I said I don't care, don't ever come on my property again. When I tell someone on my property to stop their car, they stop their car. They don't argue with me, and they don't say 'he'll get out of the way.' The dog is deaf and blind and has arthritis. And this is his home. I said no one messes with my dog. Ever.

So yes, if you want to get rid of them, it can be done.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    foxtrot, ginster and manesntails like this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

I've learned some more about the 'Great Commission' and various groups that do 'undercover' and secret Christian evangelism in various areas where it is forbidden by law.

Will add more information later.

ginster likes this.
  6. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I love the stories over the last page or two because I have had so many issues with people coming to preach at me.

It's just so offensive. Has there ever been a successful conversion ever???? Who living in the modern world is not aware of religion? Has anyone really ever answered their door and magically changed their religion because someone told them they should?

I'm not anti-religion or an athiest, I'm spiritual, but there's no more personal choice than the religion you practice (or lack thereof).

I had issues a few years back with Jehovah's Witnesses repeatedly coming out. I got good at recognizing them and just wouldn't answer the door. But one time these people drove up in my driveway and tried to open the gate (I have a little gate in a closed courtyard right outside my front door so the dogs can be let out safely). I keep it locked during the day when not expecting visitors, for the dogs own safety.

So anyway I see these people get out of their car and come up to the gate and start trying to unlock it. They were rattling it and looking around and finally started yelling HELLOOOOOOOOO at the house, over and over. I figured there was something genuinely wrong so I opened my door and asked what was going on. They didn't immediately answer and instead started making small talk about how I must be safe since I lock my gate and how my flowers are pretty. And how they can see dog footprints on my welcome mat and what kind of dog do I have? I sort of stood there awkwardly and asked again what they want and they started their spiel and I just turned around and walked in my house and locked the door without saying anything.

They actually looked OFFENDED. One of them like flung her arms up in this sarcastic type of shrug as if I was the rude one. Just omg. Going inside my house without saying anything was the LEAST rude reaction they could have gotten from me, lol

manesntails and doublelranch like this.
  7. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Years ago when the Swine flu scare started, my oldest daughter came down with it. Just so happened, JWs came to my door. I opened the door and told them I couldn't have visitors since my daughter had Swine flu. The woman snottilly asked me if that had actually been verified like I was lying to get them to go away. I told her it had Thursday night in the ER then shut the door in her face. And no, @foxtrot. I have never heard of anyone being converted by their attempts.

8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Best/worse conversion attempt!

I was studying abroad in Italy, up in the mountains where they speak German, not Italian. I do not speak German beyond 'please' 'thank you' 'sorry' and, of course 'I don't speak German'.
    Was walking with a friend when a man and a woman stopped us and started talking to us earnestly. Friend and I said we did not speak German. They persisted. We tried to walk away. They followed us, still talking earnestly. I got out the dictionary and asked if they were lost. They looked offended, and handed us these little pamphlets and left, FINALLY.
    Friend and I went to the coffee shop and sat down to translate the pamphlets, and realized...

THEY WERE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES.
    :hah:
    Since we weren't going to sit and translate every word one at a time with our tiny travel dictionary, we threw the pamphlets out.
    But geez. Stick to your own language at least!

9. slc

slc Senior Member

I am still having a lot of trouble posting anything on this "Great Commission."

I don't think you guys will even believe this stuff. It's that bizarre.

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I gotz another one.

I rented this cute little trailer in a snowbird trailer park down Ft. Lauderdale when I first moved down there. It had a big screenroom addition added on at the top of the driveway with a two foot wide garden/ raised planter that went all the way around all three sides of the screenroom.

I had a black long haired cat with copper colored eyes and he was sitting inside the screenroom. Where I went, he followed. He was watching intently just inches from me on the other side of the screen when I heard footsteps coming up the drive.

I turned to look and here was a very tall, rail-thin black man, with a big smile on his face, coming towards me. He said: “Good morning M'am~!! I would like to talk with you about Jesus today.“

To this day I do not know what came over me, but I looked at him, I was still squatted down with my trowel in my hand, looked at my cat, then back to the man and said: “I really don't think that that's a good idea.“

Puzzled, he replied, “Why not?“

I looked at my cat and replied: “ Because I don't think he would like it.“

This guy's eyes got as big as saucers~!! He started backing away, stuttering: “Oh oh, ohhh Kay~!!“ Then he turned and RAN down my driveway, looking back over his shoulder at me, as if he had just seen the devil himself, and kept running and looking back until he was clear out of sight~!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    I had to go inside and call all my friends and tell them~!!