Senior weight gain. Fat, protein, fiber,etc?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Mackenzie M, Jan 25, 2019.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Hay puts weight on.

Grain provides energy.

Feed all the HIGH quality hay they want. Remove the slow feed net and feed a flake of alfalfa, (or soaked hay cubes instead, not dry ones) as a supplement feed for lunch or if you aren't home for lunch, as an 8-9 pm feeding.

2. Mackenzie M

Mackenzie M Senior Member

I cannot take the slow feed net off as he is with a mare that will heave if she buries her head in a round bale, no to mention the waste. Alfalfa bales are not common around here, so pellets will have to do.

I do not want to continue feeding the Tribute Kalm Ultra if it is not the best thing or not needed. What else should I look into? I've had this horse for 14years, so I know hay and alfalfa pellets will not be enough

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Take him away from the other horse. Geldings should be with geldings as they get too attached to mares. Hay puts weight on. This is common logic. You will not increase his weight with grain. Hay, hay, and more hay.

4. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Of those I like the Kalm N EZ the best. Safechoice senior is actually 20% NSC, Triumph Senior is 22%, Tribute seniority is 22%. I don't love the soy and wheat midlings prevalent in the Kalm N EZ but it is beet pulp and Alfalfa based otherwise which is good. It's decent fat and high fiber which is good! I like it much better than the other options and what they're on now. I just would not want either, especially the one with likely hind gut acidosis and possible PPID, to have any higher NSC than the 13.5% of the Kalm N EZ, so that would be my only recommendation for what is local to you. I don't think it's a bad option at all, and much better than what they're on. I'd still try to up forage and add alfalfa pellets or cubes. I'd just caution feeding pellets dry - it's not worth the risk of choke for me, and as I've learned, my PPID horse now has carp teeth and doesn't get anything hard to keep teeth from fracturing (so if your guy does have PPID hard pellets may not be ideal).

Mackenzie M likes this.
  5. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

I'm also a fan of alfalfa pellets... I'm switching my mare back onto them and just adding a vit/min supplement to make sure she gets everything she needs. Beet pulp and/or alfalfa cubes are great too, and I probably would use them except that my BO doesn't like managing the soaking and I can't do it myself.

As others have said, alf can help buffer the stomach acids, and BP would help replenish any water being lost in his watery stool. Many horses like to slurp the BP and it makes an excellent carrier for supplements!

6. cassandra01000

cassandra01000 Senior Member

I put my mare on Timothy cubes soaked. After a number of years of different diets and needing something low NSC a vet suggested Timothy Cubes. The difference in my mare at 20 has been night and day. She was originally a 3-4 on the body scale even with food in front of her 24/7. It took a few months on a new diet but she looks a million times better. Her grain was changed too but it is the cubes that made the difference.

Mackenzie M likes this.
  7. Mackenzie M

Thank you everyone. I will slowly switch them over to the Kalm N EZ and add alfalfa pellets.
    I also just started the older one on turmeric

8. Mackenzie M

So i'm going to need to make a trip to the feed store soon. I recently spoke to someone at tribute about some of their products as I'm looking for a vit/min supplement for one of my more rotund mares as even a RB seems too much for her (that's a question for another day)
    Anyway, I asked about putting my older geldings on Kaln N EZ vs Kalm Ulra. The lady was unsure that the Kalm N EZ would be enough fat for them and suggested to try Resolve instead. Any thoughts on this?

The NSC is a bit higher in Resolve at (17.5%) but the fat is also (10%)
    Kalm N EZ is a NSC of (13.5%) and a fat of (8%)

Keep in mind, i'm coming off of Kalm Ultra which is NSC of (23.5%) and fat of (12%)

9. slc

slc Senior Member

Don't be surprised if the horse cannot digest alfalfa pellets either. They tend to have very coarse fiber. Being pressed into pellets doesn't help that much. Soaking the pellets will help for a while.

10. Mackenzie M

Is there a better alternative that you would suggest? I can try to get alfalfa bales for him in the spring. I wont be able to now with our hay shortage and his pasture situation.
    Also, any thoughts on the grains I mentioned? I'm thinking to switch to either tributes Kalm N EZ or Resolve